A low carb and gluten free lemon almond cake that only has four ingredients. The lemon is boiled first, giving a delightful aroma in the kitchen.
This cake is not going to last the day in our house as we have been helping ourselves to it as soon as it came out of the oven. I am munching on a piece as I post this and the day is not over yet either. The simpliest ingredients have combined to give a fresh, moist cake with a lovely lemon flavour. It is very important that you use unwaxed lemons as you use all of the lemon, including the skin. I use erythritol from my health food shop as a subsitute to sugar. Low carbs and no sugar rush! This is such an easy cake to make but looks and tastes as if you have taken great care. Fool visitors with this one!
2 lemons, unwaxed (and organic if available)
200g erythritol (or other sugar substitute)
250g ground almonds
- Wash the lemons, put them in a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Leave to cook gently for about 45 minutes. Leave to cool. Drain the lemons and cut them into pieces to remove any pips. Put the lemons into a food processor and whizz to a puree.
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F degrees.
- Line a 20cm springform cake tin with baking parchment.
- Whisk the eggs and erythritol together for about 5 minutes until they are very pale and thick.
- Whisk in the lemon puree, then fold in the ground almonds.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 1 1/4 hours or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If it gets too brown, cover lightly with a piece of greaseproof paper.
- Cool the cake in the tin, then turn over carefully and remove the paper.
- Eat and enjoy!
Makes 8 slices
Nutritional Info per slice: 225 Calories, 18g Fat, 11g Protein, 10g Total Carbs, 5g Fibre, 5g Net Carbs