This Buffalo chicken spaghetti squash makes a perfect, light dish for lunch or dinner. Tender squash 'noodles' are mixed with a creamy spicy sauce, cheese and shredded juicy chicken breast.
Low carb, full of flavor and easy to make this buffalo chicken casserole is also gluten-free and SO delicious!
If you are a fan of buffalo sauce, you will love this dish. Buffalo sauce originates from New York and is a simple sauce made from a bottled cayenne pepper sauce and butter. We use Frank's hot sauce as it has the best flavor. Serve with a whole roasted cauliflower for a hearty dish.
If you enjoy the combination of chicken and buffalo, try our buffalo chicken stuffed peppers recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Is Spaghetti Squash Low Carb?
Yes, it is keto-friendly. Is spaghetti squash low carb? Yes, it is very low carb compared to many other root vegetables. A 100g serving is just 5g net carbohydrates. It can be used as a low carb alternative to pasta or enjoyed as a side vegetable.
This recipe makes a great healthy dinner with just 6g net carbs per serving.
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
If you have your spaghetti squash already cooked, this is can be a quick and easy dish to make. Rotisserie chicken can make this an easier recipe too.
- Blue cheese - is often a either love it or hate it ingredient and can be either left out or substituted with another cheese.
- Chicken - we used cooked shredded chicken breasts but chicken thighs could be used.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
We often cook our spaghetti squash in the oven, but a quicker way is in the microwave or instant pot which can only take up to 15 minutes.
Here are a few methods of cooking spaghetti squash:
- Oven Roasted - Slice the squash in half and roast, cut side down.
- Slice the spaghetti squash into rings and roast.
- Air Fryer - slice in half and cook in the air fryer.
- Using a slow cooker or crockpot.
- In an instant pot.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Quick, easy and deliciously cheesy! You will love this recipe!
Cook the spaghetti squash and place in a bowl
Add the other ingredients and mix well
Spoon the buffalo chicken mixture into a baking dish and bake
Serve with a drizzle of hot sauce
We bake this spaghetti squash mixture in a baking dish but you could use the cooked spaghetti squash shells too. Scoop the mixture into the shells, place them on a baking sheet and bake as per the recipe card below.
If you don't have buffalo sauce to hand, hot sauce can be used in place. We prefer Franks hot sauce for this recipe.
Add chopped green onions to replace the cooked onions.
The blue cheese could be substituted with blue cheese dressing (as long as it's sugar free)
Mozzarella can be replaced with cheddar cheese.
Keep any leftovers or if you make this ahead, in the fridge. Cover the dish and store for up to 3 days.
To reheat place the dish in the oven or microwave until it has heated through.
More Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Recipes
If you either a fan of spaghetti squash or curious to try it, we have a few delicious recipes you will enjoy.
Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash
- 3 cups spaghetti squash cooked
- 2 cups chopped chicken cooked
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- ¼ cup cream cheese softened
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese grated
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbled
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan or skillet. Cook the onion for 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add the cooked spaghetti squash, chicken, cream cheese, blue cheese, onion, garlic, mozzarella, buffalo sauce and seasoning. Mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a large greased casserole dish. We used a 9 x 13 inch dish.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until top starts to brown.
- Garnish with a drizzle of hot sauce and chopped chives.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.