A savoury, low carb and gluten free muffin that combines broccoli and cheese but in a muffin form that is perfect dipped in a tomato soup. Or as a snack!
The Chief Taster is currently having a soup fetish and wanted a healthy bread roll to go with his soup. So I thought I’d make a savoury muffin made with coconut flour to go with his soup demands. If you like the flavour combination of broccoli and cheese and wondered what it would be like in muffin form then, voila! The broccoli is not too overpowering and the Chief Taster liked these mainly because he could taste the cheese more. Perhaps these muffins could be a way to sneak broccoli into your diet?
You could always play around with the herb flavourings so look upon the oregano, garlic and onion powder as optional. I enjoyed the herbs that I used but you might prefer another combination.
Broccoli & Cheddar Cheese Muffins (Coconut Flour)
1 medium bunch broccoli (about 2 cups once processed)
1/4 cup (60g) melted butter
1/4 cup (59ml/2 floz) water
1/3 cup (34g) coconut flour
1/2 cup (57.5g) Cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 tspn baking soda
1/4 tspn salt
1/4 tspn black pepper
1 tblspn dried oregano
1/2 tspn garlic powder
1/2 tspn onion powder
1/4 cup (28.75g) grated Cheddar cheese (for the topping)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Lightly butter a muffin tin (this recipe makes 8 muffins). You could use muffin cases if you wanted to.
- In a bowl mix the eggs, water and melted butter.
- Blitz the broccoli in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Add the broccoli, coconut flour, salt, baking soda and seasoning to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Gently stir in the 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese.
- Spoon into the muffin tin and sprinkle the remaining Cheddar cheese over the top of the muffins.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until the tops are slightly golden.
- Eat and enjoy!
Makes 8 muffins
Nutritional info per muffin: 166 calories, 12g fat, 7g protein, 7g carbs, 4g fibre, 3g net carbs
If you enjoyed this recipe you can subscribe to Divalicious Recipes by email and never miss a recipe!
Follow me on Facebook for extra bits and fun!