A savoury zucchini muffin flavoured with feta cheese and mint for a great breakfast muffin. Baked with coconut flour this is a great moist low carb muffin.
I had zucchini, feta and fresh mint in the fridge and was thinking about making fritters, but then changed my mind and decided to try them in a savoury muffin. The flavour combinations of zucchini, feta and mint have previously been enjoyed by us in both salad and fritter form so this was a new avenue we were walking down. The end result was a light moist muffin that was delicious both warm and cold.
For me, the appeal of a savoury muffin is that it makes a delicious breakfast option when you don’t want to start the day triggering off your sweet tooth. If I’ve said it a thousand times, I’ll say it again, a savoury muffin also makes a great low carb and gluten free replacement for a bread roll with soup. Since they are baked with coconut flour they are high in fibre and very filling too.
Zucchini keeps the muffins deliciously moist with coconut flour being a great flour to bake with zucchini. Coconut flour is the sponge of the flour world and will take a lot of moisture. It’s why you often have to use a lot more eggs compared to wheat flour. As the zucchini has a lot of water in it, you don’t need quite as many eggs as I would normally use.
The smell of these savoury muffins baking was gorgeous! It’s the mint and feta I think. If you don’t have fresh mint, dried should be okay. The scents and flavours were like summer in a savoury muffin form! They kept well in the fridge as even us two couldn’t manage the whole batch between us in one day. When they are cold, I like to split them into two and toast them to have with breakfast eggs. A sliced avocado wouldn’t go amiss either! I’ve frozen savoury muffins before successfully so these should be good to freeze too.
So if you are in a rush for breakfast, reach for one or two of these as you rush out the door and munch on the commute to work! You’ll be raring to go by the time you get to the office! Who am I kidding. You’ll still growl and everyone and mutter about winning the lottery so you never have to step foot in that building again! Live and dream!
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of zucchini (62g), grated (one medium zucchini)
- 1/4 (56g) cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup (40g) coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup (25g) grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup (75g) Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Combine the eggs, butter, water and salt with a hand blender.
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda and mix well.
- Add in the zucchini and mint. Stir gently.
- Add in the Feta and Parmesan cheese and combine well.
- Season with the salt and pepper
- Put the mixture into muffin cups and sprinkle the grated Cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes until golden on top and firm.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Makes 8 Muffins
- Nutritional Info per muffin – 144 Calories, 11g Fat, 6g Protein, 5g Total Carbs, 3g Fibre, 2g Net Carbs