Traditional butterfly cakes have been made low carb with this recipe using coconut flour. Simple and delicious cake recipe to enjoy with your afternoon coffee or tea.
Butterfly cakes are probably the first cakes I made as a child. It’s a great cake for a beginner baker and something the children will enjoy making too. The inner child in me was very happy as I baked this.
Although butterfly cakes are traditionally filled with buttercream, I used whipped cream and some raspberry chia jam for a lighter filling. The beauty of butterfly cakes is that you can fill it with anything. I’ve got another recipe for butterfly cakes made with almond flour and filled them with low carb lemon curd,
If you have people coming over for coffee morning, whip up a batch of these butterfly cakes and watch them disappear! You might want to put a couple aside for yourself as they won’t last long.
- 1/4 cup Butter, unsalted melted
- 3 Eggs medium
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Coconut milk canned
- 1/4 cup Erythritol low carb sweetener
- 1/4 cup Coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoons Whipped Cream
- 3 tablespoons Raspberry chia jam
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Blend the butter, eggs, erythritol, vanilla essence and coconut milk.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk until the batter is smooth
- Pour the batter into cupcake cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- With a small knife, cut an upside-down, shallow cone shape out the top of the cake and then cut this in half.
- Fill the holes in the cupcakes with the raspberry chia jam, then spoon the cream on top.
- Place the two cut circle halves on top of the cupcake, with the long side next to each other, making the “butterfly” wings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
[amazon_link asins=’B00MFC5JVQ,B000Z978SS,B074H76RYG’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’divaliciou04c-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’8059b2aa-4a49-11e8-b963-01d0599e262f’]