A healthy broccoli and kale soup that is full of spicy flavour as well as being very nutritious.
I did not think that I would be able to tempt the husband with a Broccoli and Kale soup as it does not sound too inviting, but once he tasted it there were cries of “I’ll have a large bowl of this”. The spices really lift the kale and broccoli and the coconut give this a lovely creamy texture. This soups packs a bowl of nutrition as well as flavour!
Kale and broccoli are kings of vegetables! Kale is very high in fibre and an excellent source of nutrients, especially Vitamin A and Calcium. Broccoli’s noteworthy nutrients include Vitamin C, Vitamin A (mostly as beta-carotene), Folic Acid, Calcium and Fibre. Add a dash of carrots, ginger, celery and coconut and you have a bowl of soup that is so good for you!
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 sticks celery, chopped
- 350g Broccoli, cut into florets
- 400g Kale
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (or milk)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tblspn fresh ginger
- 1 tspn chilli powder
- 1 tspn cayenne pepper
- 1 tspn cumin
- 1 tspn nutmeg
- 3 tblspn fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tblspn coconut oil
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onion, garlic and celery and saute for 5 minutes on a low heat until soft.
- Add the ginger and dried spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add the kale, coriander and coconut cream and cook for a further 5 minutes until the kale is tender.
- Remove from the heat and blend until smooth.
- Eat, slurp and enjoy!
- Nutritional Info per serving – 236 Calories, 14g Fat, 7g Protein, 26g Total Carbs, 7g Fibre, 19g Net Carbs