Cauliflower and carrot soup is a velvety, comforting, and nutritious dish that combines the earthy, slightly nutty flavor of cauliflower with the sweet, mild taste of carrots. The resulting low carb and dairy free soup is not only delicious but also visually appealing with its creamy, pale orange hue.
Cauliflower and carrot soup is known for its silky and velvety texture. It's neither too thick nor too thin but strikes a perfect balance, making it feel luxurious as it coats your spoon and glides smoothly across your palate.
Are Carrots Low Carb?
Carrots are not considered low-carb vegetables when compared to some other vegetables like leafy greens (e.g., spinach, kale) or certain cruciferous vegetables (e.g., cauliflower, broccoli). Carrots contain more carbohydrates than those examples. However, they are still relatively low in carbohydrates compared to many other foods.
On average, a medium-sized carrot (about 61 grams) contains approximately 6 grams of carbohydrates. A serving of this soup (about a cup) is 8 grams net carbs.
- Cauliflower - frozen cauliflower florets could be use.
- Carrots - ensure that they are fresh and firm.
- Stock - also known as broth, vegetable or chicken stock can be used.
- Coconut milk - canned, not from a carton.
- Fresh ginger - adds a great flavor but ground ginger can be used if you don't have fresh.
- Olive oil - swap for coconut oil.
How to make cauliflower carrot soup
This is an easy soup to make and does not take too long.
Add carrots, ginger and garlic.
Add cauliflower, stock and coconut milk.
Blend when cooked.
Keep any leftover soup in the fridge in an air tight container and it should last up to 4 days. Allow the soup to completely cool before storing it.
Divide the cauliflower carrot soup into portion-sized containers or resealable freezer bags. Leave some space at the top of the containers or bags to allow for expansion as the soup freezes.
To use the frozen soup, simply transfer it to the refrigerator the night before you plan to eat it to thaw. Then reheat on the stove or in the microwave, stirring occasionally to ensure even heating.
What to serve with cauliflower carrot soup
More low carb soup recipes
Enjoy another bowl of low carb and gluten-free soup with these tasty recipes:
Cauliflower Carrot Soup
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced.
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz coconut milk, tinned
- 2 cups vegetable stock or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes until they become translucent.
- Add the chopped carrots, ginger and garlic to the pot and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cauliflower florets, stock, coconut milk, salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and let it cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup until smooth. If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender, but be sure to let the soup cool a bit first and blend it in batches.
- Serve the cauliflower and carrot soup hot, garnished with fresh parsley or chives if desired.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.