Low carb cupcakes especially baked for Valentine’s Day. Baked with almond flour and deliciously light.
Romance your loved one with a cupcake or two! Or if you are single, make a batch, settle down with a good film and scoff the lot! This is my favourite almond flour cupcake recipe as it yields a light, fluffy cupcake that is low in carbs and no sugar but all taste! The chief taster loved these and my experimental batch disappeared within 24 hours. I used to love making butterfly cakes as a girl so had a play around with these and make butterfly wings as well as the hearts for the cup cakes.
I adore this buttercream frosting. I sometimes use this as a base for cream cheese frosting….just add some cream cheese and voila! Flavour it to your own taste and be very strong willed before icing your cake as you may be tempted to eat the whole bowl!
[recipe title=”Valentines Day Cupcakes (Almond Flour)” servings=”2-4″ time=”45mins” difficulty=”easy”]
2 cups almond flour
2 tspn baking powder
1/4 tspn salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup erthyritol (or sugar substitute of your choice…honey is nice, but not low carb)
1 tspns vanilla essence
2 tspns red food colouring
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup erthyritol, ground (or other sugar substitute)
2 tblspn coconut milk
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tspn vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the almond flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In another bowl mix the butter, water, eggs, erythriol, red food colouring and vanilla essence.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together, and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into muffin liners in a muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes until firm.
- Whilst the cakes are cooling make the buttercream.
- Blend the butter and erthyritol in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add the coconut milk a tablespoon at a time.
- Add the cocoa powder and vanilla essence and blend until smooth.
- Cut out heart shapes at the top of the cupcake and remove. Slice the bottoms of the heart shape sponge so that they are flat.
- Fill the spaces in the cupcakes with butter cream. Place the heart shapes on top.
- Eat and enjoy!