Enjoy low carb Valentines cupcakes baked with love and almond flour! These are light cupcakes with a low carb chocolate buttercream filling and a heart shape on top. They also make a great gluten free Valentine's Day cupcake.
These almond flour cupcakes are a Valentine's version of butterfly cakes. The cupcake mixture is coloured red and the cut out top is cut into a heart shape. Romance your loved one with a cupcake or two!
How to make valentines cupcakes
This is my favourite almond flour cupcake recipe as it yields a light, fluffy cupcake that is low in carbs and no sugar but all taste! I've based these low carb cupcakes on the butterfly cupcakes that I used to love making as a young girl.
A heart shape is cut out of the top of the cupcake leaving a whole for the chocolate buttercream filling. If you had a small heart shape cookie cutter you could use it for a more even shape.
I adore this low carb buttercream frosting. I sometimes use this as a base for cream cheese frosting Just add some cream cheese and voila! Flavour it to your own taste and be very strong willed before icing your cake as you may be tempted to eat the whole bowl!
Other Valentine's Day Low Carb Treats
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Low Carb Valentine's Day Cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the almond flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In another bowl mix the butter, water, eggs, erythritol, red food colouring and vanilla essence.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into muffin liners in a muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes until firm.
- Whilst the cakes are cooling make the buttercream.
- Blend the butter and erythritol in a bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add the coconut milk a tablespoon at a time.
- Add the cocoa powder and vanilla essence and blend until smooth.
- Cut out heart shapes at the top of the cupcake and remove. Slice the bottoms of the heart shape sponge so that they are flat.
- Fill the spaces in the cupcakes with butter cream. Place the heart shapes on top.
- Eat and enjoy!
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.
This recipe has been updated with photographs and a change to the text. The cupcake recipe remains the same.