These tomato basil bagels are a colourful and tasty way to start the day. Great toasted, with soup or split and used for a sandwich. Or simple toasted.
This is one of my best low carb bagels but is for those with a savoury palate. These tomato and basil bagels are delicious simply toasted but my favourite way to eat them is with a slathering of cream cheese. Another great way to eat these tomato basil bagels is to split them and serve with sliced avocado. Add some mozzarella cheese and that’s a very tasty lunch.
For the tomato flavour I use marinara sauce since the bagels are made with coconut flour and psyllium fibre husk, a lot of liquid is required. You could use tomato paste instead of the marinara sauce but make sure you add a little bit more liquid to the bagel dough. Chopped fresh basil is added to complete the delicious taste of these tomato basil bagels. Instead of basil you could use other flavours. Perhaps another herb or even a spice for those you enjoy some heat.
This low carb bagel recipe makes 4 bagels in total. The bagels are a decent size for one person but you could always make 8 mini bagels with the mixture. I prefer a big chunky bagel myself as one slathered with topping will keep me full for a few hours.
The Chief Taster enjoyed his with scrambled eggs. It made a nice treat from low carb bread and didn’t have a hint of flaxseed either. No complaints were submitted to the kitchen that morning. What we both loved about these tomato basil bagels as well as the colour was the smell of them as they were still warm. It must be the fresh basil or that we were hungry that morning!
- 1/2 cup (56g) Coconut Flour
- 2 tablespoons (28g) butter, unsalted melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup Marinara sauce see recipe index
- 2 tablespoons basil, fresh chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Using a hand whisk, mix the coconut flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and psyllium powder in a bowl and combine well.
- Add the butter and eggs and mix thoroughly until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add the Marinara sauce and basil and combine well.
- Boil the water and add to the mixture a bit at a time, stirring thoroughly until you have a dough. Wait for the dough to cool slightly before using your hands to shape it.
- Cut the dough into four equal quarters. Take one of the quarters and roll into about an 8 inch log.
- Join the two edges to make into a bagel shape, pressing together firming.
- Place on a parchment covered baking tray and place in the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn the bagels over and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!