This is a great low carb and gluten free alternative to the Victoria sponge cake and is just so easy to make.
Traditionally, a Victoria Sponge cake has a filling of strawberry jam and cream, but I thought fresh strawberries would be a healthier alternative to jam…and nicer.
Since the Jubilee celebrations are coming up soon in Britain, I thought I should make something “British/afternoon tea’ish” and what could be more British than a sponge cake with strawberries and cream? Well, a cup of tea and a packet of cigarettes is the other alternative but that does not quite fit into the theme of my blog…..
You could play around with the fillings, just use this recipe as a cake basis for when you just want a plain sponge cake. A great afternoon tea cake! Or breakfast…or supper…
1 cup soft butter
2 tblspns erythritol (or other sugar substitute)
2 cups almond flour
1 tspn baking powder
1 tblspn lemon juice
1 tspn vanilla extract
1/2 cup double/whipping cream
1 punnet strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 170C/350F degrees.
- Grease and line two 8 inch baking pans with grease proof paper.
- Mix all of the ingredients, except for the cream and strawberries, in a food processor and blend well.
- Spoon the mixture into the two cake tins and smooth out.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes then remove from the tin.
- Once the sponges are cool, slather one of the sponges with cream and sliced strawberries. Place the other sponge on top and repeat the slathering of cream or strawberries.
- Eat and enjoy!
Serves 4-8 slices
Nutrition: Per slice (based on 8 slices): 420 Calories; 41g Fat; 9g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 5g Net Carb