This keto strawberry cake is a great low carb and gluten free alternative to the Victoria sponge cake and is just so easy to make. Baked with almond flour it is light and moist.
Light vanilla sponge cakes are sandwiched together with whipped cream and a strawberry chia jam. A perfect cake for a summer tea party. Or a rainy afternoon indoors.
I first made this cake for the UK 2012 Jubilee celebrations as were we back in the UK for a year before moving to the Caribbean. I thought I should make something for the occasion and what could be more British than a Victoria sponge cake with strawberries and cream? Well, a cup of tea and a packet of cigarettes is the other alternative but that does not quite fit into the theme of my blog.....
How to make a keto strawberry cake
I've used a similar method as used to make a classic Victoria sponge cake by creaming the butter, then adding in the low carb sweetener and eggs.
For the flour I have used a combination of almond flour and whey protein powder. The whey protein powder helps to give the cake a great texture in the absence of gluten. You can leave this out if you don't have it but the cake will be slightly more dense.
If you are looking at the recipe card and exclaiming "1 cup of butter?!" it IS correct as this recipe is for two sponges. I looked twice myself when revisiting this recipe!
The strawberry chia jam could be replaced with sliced strawberries or fresh raspberries.
Make sure the cake mixture is spread evenly in the cake tin. It will bake uneven but that can be covered with jam and cream!
Other keto cakes to bake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information
I originally posted this recipe way back in May 2012. I've revised the recipe and updated the photos.
Keto Strawberries & Cream Cake
- ½ cup whipping/heavy cream
- ½ cup strawberry chia jam
Bake the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 170C/350F degrees.
- Grease and line two 8 inch baking pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk the butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add the low carb sweetener and continue to whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the vanilla, almond flour, baking powder, whey protein powder and whisk until smooth and thick.
- Pour in the almond milk and whisk until smooth. Add more if the cake batter is not smooth enough.
- Spoon the mixture into the two cake tins and smooth out evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm and golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes in the tin before removing the sponges. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the cream until you have soft peaks.
- Spoon the strawberry chia jam over the base of one sponge.
- Spread the whipped cream on top of the strawberry jam.
- Place the other sponge cake on top. Dust with powdered low carb sweetener (I used allulose) OR you could spread more cream on top and decorate with strawberries.
- Slice and enjoy!