Soft spiced brownies that are flavoured with the winter warming spices of nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Chocolate helps too! The smell of these baking is enticing and makes you want a glass of mulled wine.
Although I decorated my brownies with a cream cheese topping they are delicious by themselves. I was in a full baking mode that day so had some softened cream cheese sitting in the kitchen begging to be used. I really need to work on my piping though!
The stores are currently full of the smells of winter and the festive season at the moment which put me in the mood for some chocolate and spicy. So many chocolate and cookie displays that I have to quickly made a sharp turn to the cheese counter to avoid temptation. The combination of the ginger, nutmeg, ginger and cinnamon goes so well with the chocolate too. Mind you, so does chilli. The joy of chocolate is that it goes with everything. It's the little black dress of the kitchen pantry world!
What I love about this brownie recipe is how easy it is to make. I'm currently still without my electric kitchen appliances and have almost become Amish in my baking. Having to use a manual whisk was a shock to the forearms! However, this mixture was fairly easy to blend so the arms didn't gain any new muscles. I was thankful that I had not decided on any recipe that required stiff beaten egg whites. That's a job for the electric whisk.
These spiced brownies are delicious warm and although I happily munched a couple the next day under the guise of taste testing, I think I actually prefer these warm. Brownies are normally much better the next day when they become slightly fudge-like but these warm hit the spot. Probably because of my love of a warm chocolate pudding.
I normally cut my brownies into squares but was feeling creative and cut them into triangles. I was actually trying to cut them into fir tree shapes but my geometry is obviously not what it used to be. Well, it resulted in larger brownies than normal for us so it was "hurrah's" all round!
MORE LOW CARB BROWNIE RECIPES
Spiced Chocolate Brownie
- ¼ cup 34g coconut flour
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup 25g cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- ½ cup 113g butter
- ½ cup erythritol 107g (or other sugar substitute)
- 100 g dark chocolate at least 70% cocoa solids
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in Bain Marie or place in a bowl on a pot of simmering water. You could even zap it in a microwave.
- Whisk the eggs, coconut milk and sugar together.
- Add the coconut flour, cocoa powder, spices, salt and baking powder. Whisk thoroughly.
- Pour in the melted chocolate and butter and continue to whisk.
- Line a greased square baking tin or brownie tin with parchment paper. I use an 8-inch square tin.
- Pour in the brownie mixture and bake for 18-20 mins.
- Eat and enjoy!
Nutritional Info per serving – 226 Calories, 19g Fat, 5g Protein, 11g Total Carbs, 4g Fibre, 7g Net Carbs