Pumpkin cauliflower risotto is a creamy and savoury main dish full of flavour. A healthy dish that is also a bowl of comfort food.
I enjoy cauliflower risotto as it is easy and quick to make. Since pumpkin season was looming ahead I thought that I would make a risotto with pumpkin. Rather than cook the pumpkin within the risotto I opted to roast it so that the flavour would be stronger. Sage was added to give an extra little something to the dish. Plus, I love the flavour combination of sage and pumpkin.
After I had made this pumpkin cauliflower risotto, I nearly ate the whole pot to myself! I had not eaten that day but was baking for the blog. I took one spoon full for tasting. Then another. A hunger mist enveloped me and before I knew what was happening most of the pumpkin cauliflower risotto had disappeared. I quickly put the rest away in a container away from my hungry spoon.
Pumpkin Cauliflower Risotto
This pumpkin cauliflower risotto was made when the Chief Taster had moved to Tortola ahead of our move. Which never happened, but that’s a whole other story on my expat blog. The ladies at my vets became Tasters for me. So, a lucky vet enjoyed the rest of this pumpkin cauliflower risotto. She called me after lunch to tell me that she really enjoyed the dish and the sage was a surprise added flavour.
I will have to cook this again now that the Chief Taster is back with me in hope that he enjoys this as much as myself and my vet did. Pumpkins are always available in the Caribbean so we can enjoy this dish all year round.
So, reach for that cauliflower, pumpkin and sage and whip up an easy and tasty comfort bowl of deliciousness. It’s as simple as roast, rice and stir!
WATCH THE VIDEO
- 1 2 cups (200g) Cauliflower rice
- 3-4 Spring onions
- 1 1 1/2 cups (367g) Pumpkin, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon Sage fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cream heavy/double
- 1/2 cup (50g) Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock or chicken if not vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 220C/440F degrees
- Cut the pumpkin into chunks.
- Drizzle one tablespoon olive oil over the pumpkin.
- Place on a roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and gently saute for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the cauliflower and toss to coat in the oil.
- Add the vegetable stock, simmer on a gentle heat for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Add the cream and cheese, stir well and season with the salt & pepper
- Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Stir in the pumpkin and sage
- Eat and enjoy!
Nutritional Info per half recipe: 346 Calories, 27g Fat, 13g Protein, 16g Total Carbs, 5g Fibre, 9g Net Carbs