Pumpkin cauliflower risotto is a creamy and savoury main dish full of flavour. A healthy dish that is also a bowl of comfort food.
Roasted chunks of pumpkin are added to a creamy low carb cauliflower rice risotto. Sage is added to give a little extra something to the dish as it pairs well with pumpkin.
How to make low carb pumpkin risotto.
This pumpkin risotto is an easy low carb dish to make. If you roast the pumpkin advance this recipe can be quickly made. Cauliflower rice is a lot quicker to cook than the traditional rice one and there's less stirring too!
- Cauliflower rice - This can be made by placing cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulsing until you have "rice grains". Or you could make it by using a hand grater.
- Pumpkin - Peel a large slice of pumpkin and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Spring onions - These can be substituted with shallots.
- Sage - This herb is a great flavour pairing with pumpkin. It can be omitted if you don't care for it.
- Cream - Heavy cream.
- Parmesan cheese
- Stock - Either vegetable or chicken stock.
- Olive oil - Extra virgin olive oil if possible.
- Salt and pepper.
After I had made this pumpkin cauliflower risotto, I nearly ate the whole pot to myself! I had not eaten that day but was baking for the blog. I took one spoon full for tasting. Then another. A hunger mist enveloped me and before I knew what was happening most of the pumpkin cauliflower risotto had disappeared. I quickly put the rest away in a container away from my hungry spoon.
Pumpkin Cauliflower Risotto
This pumpkin cauliflower risotto was made when the Chief Taster had moved to Tortola ahead of our move. Which never happened, but that’s a whole other story on my expat blog. The ladies at my vets became Tasters for me. So, a lucky vet enjoyed the rest of this pumpkin cauliflower risotto. She called me after lunch to tell me that she really enjoyed the dish and the sage was a surprise added flavour.
I will have to cook this again now that the Chief Taster is back with me in hope that he enjoys this as much as myself and my vet did. Pumpkins are always available in the Caribbean so we can enjoy this dish all year round.
So, reach for that cauliflower, pumpkin and sage and whip up an easy and tasty comfort bowl of deliciousness. It’s as simple as roast, rice and stir!
More Pumpkin Recipes
WATCH THE VIDEO
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information
Pumpkin Cauliflower Rice
- 2 cups Cauliflower rice
- 4 Spring onions chopped
- 1 ½ cups Pumpkin cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon Sage fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cream heavy/double
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup Vegetable Stock Chicken stock if not vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 220C/440F degrees
- Cut the pumpkin into chunks.
- Drizzle one tablespoon olive oil over the pumpkin.
- Place on a roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and gently saute for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Add the cauliflower and toss to coat in the oil.
- Add the vegetable stock, simmer on a gentle heat for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Add the cream and cheese, stir well and season with the salt & pepper
- Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Stir in the pumpkin and sage
- Eat and enjoy!