Pumpkin bars slathered with a cream cheese frosting are a delicious cake baked with coconut flour. A low carb and gluten free cake that will have you reaching for another.
This keto pumpkin bar recipe yields such a moist sponge you would never guess that you are eating a healthier alternative. The pumpkin spices give the sponge a delicious warmth and the pumpkin an additional sweetness.
The first time I made these pumpkin bars I tasted one and then packed them up to take to the staff at my vets to eat. The car wheels spun in the driveway as I pulled away quickly. I would not have trusted myself alone in the house with a whole batch of these and had to get them out of the house! They are truly addictive with the perfect balance of texture and taste.
The second batch stayed in the house as the Chief Taster is now back. The temptation for me to eat them all has now disappeared. It’s now a battle for the last piece so order in the kitchen has been restored.
KETO PUMPKIN BARS
The cream cheese topping is optional but highly recommended as it goes so well with the pumpkin bar sponge. If you enjoy carrot cake with a creamy cheese topping, then this is a healthier must for you. Cream cheese and pumpkin are a great flavour couple, it would be a shame to separate them!
WATCH THE VIDEO
OTHER PUMPKIN RECIPES TO ENJOY
- 6 oz Cream cheese softened
- 3 oz Butter, unsalted softened
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Erythritol low carb sweetener
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Blend together the butter, eggs, xylitol and vanilla.
- Add the pumpkin puree, coconut flour, baking powder, pumpkin spice and salt. Whisk until there are no lumps and it is a smooth batter.
- Pour into a parchment paper lined baking tin. I use a 8 inch square tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
- Blend the topping ingredients until smooth. I used a hand blender but feel free to do an upper arm workout and try it with a fork/spoon!
- Slather the topping over the cake.
- Cut into 8 slices or smaller squares.