A pumpkin coffee cake that is made with layers of cake, cream cheese and a crumble topping. Baked with coconut flour this is a healthy alternative.
Upon tasting the blueberry coffee cake that I previously made, I knew that I had to make another version with a different flavour. Since pumpkin season is upon us, it seemed rude not to try a version with pumpkin. The result is a delicious combination of pumpkin cake, cheesecake and crumble. The pumpkin cake is baked in two layers with a cheesecake filling. The cinnamon crumble topping is sheer delight.
Although I made this low carb and gluten free coffee cake you could use almond flour. The quantity of almond flour would need to be increased and perhaps one less egg in the sponge. When I bake a delicious cake with coconut flour I should reach for a bag of almond flour to try the same recipe again.
The Chief Taster declared this pumpkin coffee cake sponge surprisingly light. He thought it looked heavy but upon tucking into a slice exclaimed that it was light. It’s almost his dream dessert with cake, cheesecake and crumble so I was confident he was going to enjoy it, but did not expect the light sponge compliment.
MAKING A KETO PUMPKIN COFFEE CAKE
The trick to the light sponge in this pumpkin coffee cake is separating the eggs and whisking the egg whites. This makes such a difference when baking with coconut flour and ensures a light sponge. I had worried that the pumpkin would make it too heavy but it just added a delicious flavour.
This is also a great cake to have with your morning cup of coffee as attested by the Chief Taster. So, the term coffee cake is well and truly deserved with this pumpkin coffee cake.
OTHER LOW CARB DESSERTS TO ENJOY
WATCH THE VIDEO
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz Cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup Erythritol Or Sweetener
- 1 medium Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- Grease and line an 8 inch springform cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix the erythritol and butter together until soft and blended.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and stir thoroughly. Then add the pumpkin.
- Add the coconut flour, pumpkin spices, salt, baking powder and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake mixture.
- Spoon half of the mixture into the baking tin and smooth evenly.
CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- In a bowl, add the softened cream cheese and beat with the erythritol (or sugar substitute).
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
- Spoon this mixture over the cake mixture into the cake tin and smooth evenly.
- Add the other half of the cake mixture over the cream cheese layer and smooth.
- For the topping, place the coconut flour, cinnamon and erythritol in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the butter and mix with your hands, gently, so that the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Scatter the topping over the cake mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until firm and the top is cooked.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then place in the fridge to firm.