This low carb walnut pumpkin pie has a crust made of ground walnuts with a dash of coconut. It's also gluten free and Paleo. I added coconut to the pie crust to give it an extra crunchy and naturally sweet taste. The combination of walnuts and coconut gives a great texture and it's made me wonder if I could make biscuits with them. It's on the ever growing ideas list!
When I baked this the Chief Taster was on his last business trip this year (huzzah!) so my lucky neighbours got a huge piece of the pie. It was too much to eat by myself and I cannot stand throwing food away. I received a call the next day from my neighbour thanking me for the pie which I found sweet of her. She enjoyed it and was surprised that it was much healthier than the normal wheat crusted pie. The joy of ground nuts with a touch of coconut! It can convince people to step over to the low carb/gluten free side!
How to make low carb walnut pumpkin pie
I used coconut milk to add to the pumpkin mixture instead of the traditional cream and it set very well. The trick with any pumpkin dessert is the spices. Once you get a blend you enjoy, make a batch and put it in an airtight jar or container. I made a huge batch of it and had a week of sprinkling it on everything! So delicious on my flax seed pancakes! Or you could simply use store bought pumpkin mix. It doesn't exist on the island so I make my own.
What pie dish is needed?
I used an 8 inch pie dish for this and the filling mixture fitted perfectly. If you are making a larger pie, you might want to double the ingredients and perhaps add another 10 minutes to the baking time. Any leftover filling could always be baked in a muffin case. If it weren't for the eggs in the mixture, I'd say add some vodka and call it a holiday drink!
Store any leftovers in the fridge either covered with cling wrap or place in an airtight container. It should last up to 3 days.
More low carb pie recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Low Carb Walnut & Pumpkin Pie
- 2 cups ground walnuts
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons Brown monkfruit
- ¼ cup butter unsalted
- 2 cups Pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup Brown monkfruit or other low carb sweetener
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the walnuts, coconut and tablespoons of erythritol (or sugar substitute) to the melted butter and stir until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Press the mixture into a pie tin. I used a foil one but if you are using another type, you should probably grease it and maybe line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Place the pumpkin and coconut milk in a bowl and blend/whisk thoroughly.
- Add the spices, vanilla, eggs, salt and erythritol. Blend until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie case and bake for 50 minutes until firm.
- Eat and enjoy!