These low carb spinach feta rolls are a tasty party snack or appetiser. An easy savoury recipe to enjoy hot or cold.
Fathead dough made with coconut flour surrounds a seasoned mixture of spinach, Feta cheese and Parmesan cheese. Spinach and Feta cheese are a great flavour combination and essential for the famous Spanakopita dish. As Spanakopita is made with phyllo pastry this is a great keto and gluten free alternative.
Easy Low Carb Spinach Rolls
We both found these low carb spinach feta rolls utterly addictive and kept popping back to the kitchen for “just one more”. I cut the rolls into 2 inches in size, but you could make them longer for a hearty savoury dish to have as a lunch with a salad.
- When you are cooking the spinach make sure that you squeeze all of the water out. You can use either fresh or frozen but it must not be soggy.
- The Fat head dough could be made with either almond flour or coconut flour. I used coconut flour purely for personal preference.
Other Keto Savoury Snacks to Enjoy
Spinach Feta Rolls
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese grated
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup spinach, cooked
- 1/2 cup Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Wash & Topping
- 1 egg beaten for wash
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds optional
Make the Dough
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl. Cook in the microwave for 60 seconds. Stir and zap for another 30 seconds. If the mixture has not melted give it another blast in the microwave.
- Stir well, and add the egg, coconut flour and baking powder.
- Mix until you have a dough mixture. If you want to use your hands, lightly oil them before handling the mixture.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill the mixture. This helps it to firm before rolling it out.
Make the Filling
- Crumble the Feta cheese and add to the spinach. Add the Parmesan, nutmeg, salt & pepper.
- Roll out the Fathead dough in between two layers of parchment paper. Try to keep the shape an even square.
- Cut the dough in half lengthways. Spoon the spinach filling evenly down one long edge of each piece of the dough.
- Roll up the dough to enclose the filling. Cut the rolled dough into smaller rolls.
- Place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Brush the spinach rolls with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds
- Bake for 20 minutes at 190C/370F degrees until the dough is golden and firm.