This low carb lemon slice is a light and fluffy cake that is covered in a rich lemony cream cheese butter topping. It's so good that you could serve it to your friends and they would never know that it's a much healthier version of the store brought cake.
I was hankering for a lemon cake today and thought that I would try a low carb lemon slice recipe with ideas of a creamy lemon topping. So I grabbed my trusty tub of coconut flour, a couple of lemons and got to work. There is something so satisfying (and probably a bit smug) about a recipe working the first time. I had am image of what I wanted the low carb lemon slice to be and this was almost spot on. The creamy topping can be optional, but I would just drop to my knees and beg of you "why?!".
It was lunch time and the Chief Taster came home for lunch in time to sample these delights. He placed two on his plate telling me that he was doubling up as I had told him that they were good. He scoffed both in record time and didn't come home at the end of the day asking what was for dinner. So they do keep you going all day. A happy husband too! You can't put a price on that. Well, you can, but the cost of making these is probably a lot less that I would estimate. Cheaper than taking him shopping for "man gifts" too!
As we are still getting settled in our new place and I need a table in the spare room that would be great for photos, I took the photos of these outside in our garden. You will start to see a difference in the background of my photos compared to the recipes that I made in Barbados. They were full of a green leafy background. Here, I have a lot of cactus and rocks. Perhaps when we get our garden table, I can angle the plates a bit better. Or I set up a photo station with the usual food props, so you would never know what country I am in!
OTHER LOW CARB LEMON DESSERTS TO ENJOY
WATCH THE VIDEO
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 Cup Butter, melted unsalted
- 1/2 Cup Erythritol
- 5 Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Lemons Juice & Rind
- 6 oz Cream cheese softened
- 3 oz Butter softened, unsalted
- 1 Lemon Juice & Rind
- 1/4 cup Erythritol
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Blend together the butter, eggs, erythritol, lemon juice, lemon rind and vanilla.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder, salt and whisk until there are no lumps and it is a smooth batter.
- Pour into a parchment paper lined baking tin. I use a 8 inch square tin.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
- Blend the topping ingredients until smooth. I used a hand blender but feel free to do an upper arm workout and try it with a fork/spoon!
- Slather the topping over the cake.
- Cut into 8 slices or smaller squares.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
[amazon_link asins='B000YF99GM,B0013P3KC6,B008BULGNG' template='ProductCarousel' store='divaliciou04c-20' marketplace='US' link_id='36de765b-981a-11e7-a8c3-b9f412f1b6f3']