I have been enjoying a big jar of home made lemon curd recently slathered over anything I could eat, so decided to add it to my favourite almond flour cupcake recipe. I made them into butterfly cakes as the "wings" seemed to fit just right over the lemon curd filling and more importantly, I thought that they looked cute! To me, butterfly cakes were something that takes me back to my childhood as we used to bake this on a Sunday afternoon. This is a lovely fresh cupcake that is full of the zing of spring!
One thing that I am learning about not making "traditional" cake batters, is that the healthy alternative is just so much easier! Not of that beating and creaming...just mix, cook and eat! You still get a lovely fluffy moist cake too! Who needs that nasty flour...bah!
Keto Lemon Curd Butterfly Cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the almond flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In another bowl mix the butter, water, eggs, erythritol and vanilla essence.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into a muffin tin lined with cupcake cases.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until firm.
- Allow to cool, then with a small knife, cut out circles from the cupcakes. Turn the circles on their sides and trim down slightly, (so that they will fit better on the cupcake). Cut in half.
- Fill the holes in the cupcakes with the lemon curd.
- Place the two cut circle halves on top of the cupcake, with the longside next to each other...making the "butterfly" wings.