These keto lemon curd butterfly cupcakes are a delightful and healthy treat that everyone will love. They are perfect for special occasions, parties, or just as a sweet snack to enjoy anytime. So, go ahead and indulge in a delicious cupcake without any guilt or worry!
Baked with almond flour, these moist cupcakes are filled with our sugar free lemon curd and topped with sponge butterfly wings. They are a great cupcake to make with your kids too.
To me, butterfly cakes are something that takes me back to my childhood as we used to bake this on a Sunday afternoon. This is a lovely fresh cupcake that is full of the zing of spring!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
WHAT ARE BUTTERFLY CUPCAKES?
Butterfly cupcakes, also known as butterfly cakes, are a type of cupcake that is filled with cream or jam and decorated with wings made from the cupcake cut in half. The cupcake is first baked in a cupcake liner, and once it's cooled, a small circular portion is cut from the top of the cake. This top portion is then cut in half, and the halves are placed in a butterfly-like shape, with the cream or jam filling spread in the center.
We use a favorite almond flour cupcake recipe for these lemon curd butterfly cakes.
- Almond flour - use finely ground almond flour
- Butter - the melted butter can be substituted with coconut oil
- Sweetener - we used allulose but any other low carb sweetener such as monkfruit or Swerve could be used.
- Lemon curd - We use homemade sugar free lemon curd but you could use a sugar free berry jam too.
HOW TO MAKE KETO BUTTERFLY CUPCAKES
These are a fun family cupcake to make. Bake any keto vanilla muffin, cut a centre out, fill it and top with the sponge centres, cut into wings.
Bake almond flour vanilla muffins
Remove the top centre of the muffin and set aside
Fill with lemon curd
Replace the removed cut cupcake on to to be the wings.
Keep the assembled cupcakes in an sealed container in the fridge. They should last up to 5 days, but are best enjoyed fresh.
These low carb cupcakes can be made with coconut flour in place of the coconut flour. Our apple pie muffin recipe can be used.
Add lemon juice to the cake butter for a stronger lemon taste.
Fill the cupcakes with a mixture of whipped cream and lemon curd for a softer lemon flavor.
MORE KETO CUPCAKE RECIPES
Enjoy baking cupcakes with these low carb recipes:
This recipe was originally posted in March 2012. The content and photographs have been updated but the recipe remains the same.
Keto Lemon Curd Butterfly Cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Mix the almond flour, baking powder and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl mix the butter, water, eggs, allulose and vanilla essence.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together and stir well.
- Pour the mixture into a muffin tin lined with cupcake cases.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until firm and golden.
- Allow to cool, then with a small knife, cut out circles from the cupcakes. Turn the circles on their sides and trim down slightly, (so that they will fit better on the cupcake). Cut in half.
- Fill the holes in the cupcakes with the lemon curd.
- Place the two cut circle halves on top of the cupcake, with the longside next to each other...making the "butterfly" wings.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.