A lemon curd recipe that is low in carbs but just as delicious as any store bought jar. It is so easy to make too!
Lemon curb is usually packed full of sugar but this version uses my favourite sugar substitute, erythritol so it keeps the carbs low and that sugar demon at bay! I loved the fresh lemon taste of this as you cannot beat the taste of home made with fresh ingredients. Processed foods does not come near. Which also explains the colour as it is not the bright yellow you get from the sugary, processed, full of E-flavourings you buy from the supermarket. Keep it natural peeps! This will keep in the refrigerator for a week.
This is just so easy to make! For some reason I though that lemon curd was a complicated sauce to make. Who knows why...probably my grandmothers legends (who were awful cooks. Not your traditional, "huzzah, granny has baked" at all). Once you have made this, you can use it as a spread, smother in on cupcakes, use it as a cake filling or just enjoy it with some berries on the side with a dash of cream. Mmmmmmmmmmm!
The whole recipe makes about 2 cups with one serving being 3 tablespoons. That's what I told myself as I ate 3 tablespoons directly from the jar and called it a serving.
If you don't have lemons, why not try a lime curd instead?
Recipes Using Lemon Curd
Low Carb Lemon Curd
- 4 tablespoons butter cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup erythritol or sugar substitute
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place the butter into the freezer for at least an hour.
- Blend the other ingredients in a blender.
- Add the blended ingredients in a saucepan over a low heat. Keep stirring. Do not let the mixture boil.
- When the sauce starts to thicken, remove from the heat and add in the butter, stirring until it has completely blended.
- If you think the taste is too sharp, add some more erythritol or another drop of butter.
- Pour into an airtight jar and allow to cool.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.