These blueberry cupcakes are baked with coconut flour and topped with a blueberry cream cheese topping. A colourful and tasty cupcake for an afternoon treat.
The blueberries are blended in this blueberry recipe rather than baking them whole. As well as giving the cream cheese frosting a natural colour, I decided to throw it into the cupcake batter too. I normally use coconut milk for this trusty coconut flour cupcake recipe but omitted it and replaced it with blueberries. This gives the cupcakes a slight blue colour and disperses the blueberry flavour throughout the cupcakes.
I was shopping in a local store and came across these pretty cardboard cupcake cases which just screamed out, “bake something with blueberries” to me. I have never tried this type of case before, so I was a bit unsure about using them.
The oven did not go up in flames and they cooked wonderfully in these cases. The cases would make a great blueberry muffin case too, but that’s for another recipe, another day.
I used about 5 ounces of blueberries to make the blend and had a little bit over. I added chia seeds to the leftovers for a quick and dirty chia jam. You might want to adjust the number of blended blueberries in your cupcake and frosting, depending upon what colour you like for both. I was trying to get the frosting a bit bluer and think it could only be achieved with a drop of food colouring which I did not want to use.
The blueberry cupcakes had the thumbs up from the Chief Taster who was surprised I baked them in the cases. You can tell he doesn’t bake as I laughed to myself about baking a cupcake and then serving them in these hexagonal cases!
Try some delicious light and moist blueberry cupcakes with a delicious blueberry frosting and try to stop at just one. Or that might just be us!
- 4 oz Cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup Butter softened
- 5 tablespoons Blueberry blended mixture
- 1 tablespoon Erythritol
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Place the blueberries in a blender and blitz. Set aside.
- Blend the butter, eggs, erythritol and vanilla essence.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk until the batter is smooth
- Add the blueberry mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into cupcake cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes until firm at 200C/400F degrees.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Blend the butter, cream cheese, erythritol and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the blueberry blend and mix until combined. You might want to add more blueberries for a different colour.
- Pipe or slather the mixture on top of the cupcakes.
- Eat and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.