This keto coffee cake recipe is a drool-worthy way to use fresh strawberries. Reviewers love the fact that it doesn’t taste like a “diet” cake. Made with coconut flour not only is this a low carb cake, it's gluten-free and sugar-free too.
Enjoy a slice of this for a strawberry breakfast cake with your morning coffee or tea. A soft sponge is topped with a layer of cream cheese, sliced strawberries and a crumble topping.
What is a coffee cake?
The naming of a coffee cake can be confusing for those outside the USA as it's not the coffee flavoured cake as we would think.
A coffee cake is basically a soft sponge cake with a crumble or streusel topping. Layers of fruit or cream cheese can be between the sponge and the crumble topping.
Carbs in Strawberries
Strawberries are a great low carb fruit and have just over 5g net carbohydrates per 100g serving. Strawberries are low in calories, high in fibre and a great source of Vitamin C. Plus they taste delicious!
I've used coconut flour for this recipe as it's one of my favourite low carb flours to bake sweet goods. The other ingredients are all low carb pantry staples, making this an easy and uncomplicated cake to make.
Although the low carb streusel topping should traditionally have cinnamon in it. I've left it out as I wanted a simple vanilla cake to go with the strawberries and cream cheese layers. By all means add cinnamon to your topping.
The low carb sweetener
For this keto coffee cake we used allulose as it's currently our favourite low carb sweetener. It doesn't have any icy after taste that some other low carb sweeteners such as erythritol can have.
How to make this keto strawberry coffee cake
There are 4 layers to make in this cake but they are all fairly simple.
- The coconut flour vanilla sponge cake
- The cream cheese mixture
- A layer of sliced strawberries
- The coconut flour crumble topping
This cake does not take too long to make and you will need 3 bowls for the different layers.
- Start with the coconut flour sponge cake. Cream the butter and low carb sweetener.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla.
- Whisk the remaining dry ingredients until you have a smooth batter.
- Next is the cream cheese layer. In the second bowl, whisk the softened cream cheese with the low carb sweetener.
- Add the egg and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Place all the topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub the butter in with the coconut flour and low carb sweetener with your fingers until you have a crumble mixture.
- You are ready to start your layers and bake!
Can I make this with almond flour?
If you are not a fan of coconut flour and want to make this cake with almond flour, it's simple enough. We have a low carb almond flour coffee cake recipe or a raspberry almond crumble cake both make with almond flour that you could adapt for the sponge and topping.
Keep this keto strawberry coffee cake in the refrigerator. Ideally in a sealed container and it should last for up to 4 to 5 days.
This cake is best after a few hours in the fridge due to the cream cheese mixture. Ideally, serve it the next day.
If the crumble topping starts to brown too much at the edges during baking, cover them with silver foil.
More keto strawberry desserts
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Strawberry Coffee Cake
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup allulose or other low carb sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- Grease and line an 8 inch springform cake tin with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and allulose together until soft and fluffy.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and continue to whisk until you have a smooth cake batter.
Cream Cheese Layer
- In a medium mixing bowl add softened cream cheese, allulose (or other low carb sweetener), egg and vanilla.
- Whisk until you have a smooth mixture.
- In a small bowl, add the cold butter pieces, coconut flour and allulose.
- Mix the butter into the flour mixture with your hands, gently until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the cake tin and smooth evenly.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture on top and spread evenly.
- Place the sliced strawberries on top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Scatter the crumble mixture on top of the strawberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until firm and the top is cooked.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool, then place in the fridge to firm for a couple of hours.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.