This spinach ricotta gnocchi recipe has no flour and consists of mainly spinach and ricotta cheese. It is an easy low carb recipe to make and takes little effort too.
This is a no flour, low carb, gluten free dish of spinach yumminess. I prefer to serve this with a low carb Marinara sauce but the Gnocchi would also be lovely with a hearty salad too. Light, refreshing and good for you..this dish has it all!
This dish is also known as naked ravioli because the gnocchi are essentially mounds of ravioli filling. It's important to squeeze the spinach completely dry, so the gnocchi don't fall apart.
The recipe here uses fresh spinach, but you could also use frozen spinach. Just make sure that all the water is squeezed out of the spinach as you want the gnocchi shapes to hold together.
I've listed the portion sizes as serves 4 as it would if you were serving this as a light lunch or appetiser. Half of the recipe is a decent portion for a hearty dinner. Although the Chief Taster would have scoffed the lot had I not wanted some for dinner the last time I made this.
The beauty about this spinach ricotta gnocchi is how easy it is to make. You could always make the gnocchi ahead, store the in the fridge and bake when ready to eat. The only problem you will have is do you eat them by themselves with a sprinkling of cheese or serve them with a sauce.
Spinach & Ricotta Gnocchi
- 2 cups Spinach cooked
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 2 Egg yolks beaten
- 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Cut the stems off the spinach and cook in a large pan of boiling water for 1 minute. Remove and plunge into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Drain the spinach leaves well, and squeeze out any excess water. Chop the leaves very fine.
- Put the spinach, Ricotta,Parmesan cheese, egg yolks and seasoning into a bowl. Mix well.
- Shape the mixture into balls about the size of walnuts. Or make them gnocchi shaped.
- Lightly butter a casserole dish and place the gnocchi in it.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with your sauce of choice.