This is a coconut cake for coconut lovers as it’s made with coconut flour and decorated with coconut on top of a creamy cream cheese frosting.
I had a large pack of desiccated coconut in the cupboard so my mind went to cake. I decided to make a cake in the pan rather than a batch of muffins as it was a Sunday afternoon and I was in a cake mood. Something that you could slice and eat with a fork.
This low carb and gluten free coconut cake is very moist in texture. The Chief Taster was at first surprised that it was coconut flour due to the moistness of the cake. He is still having a love affair with peanut flour and keeps requesting bakes made with it. I bake one killer batch of muffins and I never hear the end of it. There was also a killer roulade cake that is on the repeat request list too. Sometimes you should feel sorry for the Chief Taster as I don’t bake the same thing again and again. On one hand, he gets a variation of dishes and cakes each week and month. On the downside, once he tastes something he loves, he might not see that again until I am in between recipe creating and just feel like baking. I know, just pulls at your heart strings doesn’t it!
I baked the coconut cake in a square baking tin, as I wanted the cake to be sliced into two pieces and sandwiched together. This was easier than finding two sandwich cake tins the same size. Feel free to use another shape cake tin.
Slathered with a delicious cream cheese frosting then covered with desiccated coconut this is a gorgeous coconut cake that will be hard to stop at one piece. Elegant enough for an afternoon tea, delicious enough to have for breakfast when you open the fridge at 7am and a piece is staring right at you!
WATCH THE VIDEO
Coconut Cake with coconut cream cheese frosting
- 1/2 Cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons Grated cream coconut from a block (optional if you have it)
- 4 tablespoons coconut milk
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/2 cup Erythritol or sugar subsitute
- 1/2 cup Butter softened at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut unsweetened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons coconut milk
- 8 oz cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter softened at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons erythritol ground, preferable
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut unsweetened
Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Grease a square baking tin and line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and erythritol together until combined.
- Add the egg yolks, vanilla extract and coconut milk and coconut cream. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the coconut flour, desiccated coconut, salt and baking powder. Stir well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 20 minutes until golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To Make the Frosting:
- Beat the cream cheese, butter and erythritol together. Add the coconut milk to lightly thin out.
- Beat until smooth. You may want to use a hand blender to smooth any lumps out.
Assemble the cake:
- Place one half of the cake onto of a serving plate.
- Spoon frosting over the half evenly until covered.
- Place the other half on top.
- Cover the top and edges of the cake with the rest of the frosting.
- Sprinkle and press the desiccated coconut onto the frosting.
- Slice and serve!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.