This is a great keto BBQ chicken recipe for the grill this summer! Juicy chicken breasts are marinated and cooked on the BBQ for an easy dish packed with flavour.
Fire up the BBQ it’s grilling time! This is a recipe that is now a BBQ staple for us, but you could also cook this in your air fryer or bake in the oven too.
Easy Grilled Chicken Recipe
Rather than using a dry BBQ rub for the chicken, this BBQ chicken uses a marinade. The chicken is pierced, then marinated in the sauce for at least a few hours.
Ingredients for the Marinade
The marinade is made with these store cupboard ingredients:
- Lemon juice - freshly squeezed is best.
- Olive oil - Avocado oil is great too
- Tamari - A gluten free and vegan alternative to soy sauce.
- Balsamic Vinegar - Some brands of balsamic vinegar can have sugar in them, so I use a sugar free version. I get mine from the diabetic section in my supermarket but it’s also available online.
- Golden Monkfruit - BBQ sauces use brown sugar, so I'm using a low carb version from Besti. Any low carb sweetener can be used.
- Worcestershire sauce - Pronouncing this is easy for me as I’m British! There is a difference in the sauce produced in the UK and the version for the USA, with the USA version having much more sugar in it. This being said, it should be used in moderation or use a sugar free homemade recipe.
- Garlic – If you want a stronger garlic flavour, increase the amount of cloves.
What is the best chicken to use?
This recipe uses boneless and skinless chicken breasts purely as that’s the Chief Taster’s favourite. Bone in chicken breasts, thighs or legs could be used. They will take a bit longer to cook.
Chicken cutlets work well as they cook so quick as they are thin. Keep a careful eye on them not to overcook them though.
What to serve with BBQ chicken
This chicken recipe goes great with any side dish. Try a few of these recipes:
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information
Keto BBQ Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teapoon black pepper
- Season the chicken breasts with the salt and pepper.
- Pierce the breasts with a fork or small knife.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts in either a zip lock bag or sealable container and add the marinade. Give it a little shake and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Heat the grill to a medium high heat.
- Place the chicken breasts on the grill and cook for about 5-7 minutes each side, depending upon the thickness of the chicken. Brush with the marinade when you turn the chicken over.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.