These crispy hazelnut cookies are baked with hazelnut meal with added chocolate chips for a tasty low carb cookie.
I will throw my cooking hat into the ring and declare these hazelnut cookies the best I have baked to date! They are crisp and crunchy, just like store bought. Add the flavour combination of hazelnut and chocolate and you have a cookie that will have you going back for another. And another.
To keep these cookies crisp, ensure that they are golden and firm and perhaps leave them in the oven to cool and slightly harden to achieve that perfect crisp cookie. Feel free to omit the chocolate chips if you want to cut down on the carbs but with them, they are still low in carbs.
This recipe bakes 15 large cookies but you can make more cookies with smaller balls of the dough rolled out when you come to bake them. To be honest, I was baking these to see how hazelnut meal worked as a cookie flour so was not trying to perfect the cookie shape and size. Typically, when I am not trying with a recipe, they turned out too good not to publish!
This hazelnut cookie recipe will be one I will be baking every time I can get my hands on a bag of hazelnut meal. I might add chopped hazelnuts to the next batch for an additional crunch.
- 1/2 Cup Butter, unsalted softened
- 1/2 Cup Erythritol low carb sweetener
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 Cups Hazelnut Meal
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips Semi Sweet
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Line a couple of baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and erythritol
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly
- Gently stir in the chocolate chips
- Using a damp hand, shape the dough into sizes of walnuts.
- Place the cookie dough balls onto the trays and gently press into a cookie shape.
- Bake 20-30 minutes until firm.
- Leave the cookies in the oven to cool for an extra crisp cookie.