These low carb ginger cookies are a great low carb cookie. Not only are they gluten free, they are also egg free.
As the cookies cool, they will harden but are delicate to handle at first. Let them cool completely and when stored in the fridge overnight you will have a crispier cookie the next day.
Almond flour is used to make these low carb cookies and I’ve used a mixture of fresh grated ginger as well as ground for an extra ginger taste. I’ve baked these a few times and found the dough to be soft enough to not require an egg. However, this may be due to the heat of where I live! My room temperature butter is almost liquid!
You can enjoy these low carb ginger cookies plain or decorate with a cream cheese icing or dip in chocolate. Mix it all up! My art class members can confirm that all varieties are delicious. I’ve taken a few batches for group taste testing. The Chief Taste tester now has some competition!
GINGER COOKIE BAKING TIPS
- If you find the dough too stiff, add an egg white.
- Chilling the dough helps with rolling it out. It is a delicate dough and you will need to handle the cut cookies very carefully.
- Do not touch the cookies when they are hot as they will crumble and break. As they cool down they will firm up.
- If you like a stronger ginger flavour to your cookies, add more fresh ginger.
- You don’t have to use a cookie cutter but could made cookies by rolling out a small walnut sized ball of dough and pressing it down with your hand or a spoon.
- I’ve used both white and golden erythritol and preferred the golden for a deeper taste.
OTHER LOW CARB COOKIES TO BAKE
Low Carb Ginger Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted softened
- 1/2 cup erythritol white or golden
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh grated
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Beat the erythritol and butter together until soft
- Add in the almond flour, ginger and cinnamon and mix into a dough.
- Place the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm. It will be delicate to handle so chilling it will help.
- Place the dough in between two layers of parchment paper and roll out. The thinner the dough is rolled, the crispier the cookie will be.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the shapes and carefully use a knife or spatula to place the cookies on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Bake at 180C/350F degrees for 12-15 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray before handling them. When they are warm they will be very delicate.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge. They will firm up after a few hours in the fridge.