Flaxseed pumpkin muffins make a healthy breakfast or a snack on the go. Low carb and gluten free these are a great way to start the day.
I had a large batch of pumpkin puree and thought I’d bake some muffins with it. Although I already have a pumpkin and coconut flour muffin recipe I thought I’d try something with ground flaxseed for lower carbs. These muffins are very moist and remind me slightly of a carrot cake. I served mine with a vanilla cream cheese topping but that is optional.
The muffins did not rise as much as I had hoped but they were still delicious and the flat top was easier to spread the topping! If I made this again, I might try using baking soda instead of baking powder to see if a change in raising agent would make a difference. The Chief Taster enjoyed them and did not complain about the flaxseed (which makes a change). He did find them a bit “moist” so you might want to bake them an additional 10 minutes if you want a more firmer inside to your muffin.
If you don’t have all the spices you could use a ready mixed pumpkin spice as that is much the same.
Flaxseed & Pumpkin Muffins
1 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup erthyritol (or sugar substitute of your choice)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tspn baking powder
1 tspn vanilla essence
1 tspn ground cinnamon
1/2 tspn ground all spice
1 tspn ground ginger
1/4 tspn ground cloves
1/4 tspn ground nutmeg
1/4 tspn salt
25g cream cheese, at room temperature
25g butter, at room temperature
2 tspn vanilla essence
2 tblspn ground erthyritol (or sweetener of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Grease a muffin tin (it makes 9 muffins) or use muffin cases.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the butter, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla and stir until combine thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the tops are firm.
- To make the topping, simply blend all of the topping ingredients together until smooth (I use a hand blender but a fork and elbow power is good too!).
- When the muffins are cool, spread the topping over them.
- Eat and enjoy!
Makes 9 muffins
Nutritional info per muffin – 216 calories, 20g Fat, 6g Protein, 7g Carbs, 5g Fibre, 2g Net Carbs