I have a savoury tooth and missed munching on the crisps and crackers now that we have eliminated potatoes and wheat from our diet. I found a cracker recipe that uses flax seeds and the finished result is suprisingly morish. Dipped in cream cheese or eaten by itself...it keeps the savoury demon inside me quiet for 10 minutes. Yummy crackers with all the nutritional benefits of Flax seed that include high in fibre, Omega 3-fatty acids (great for us Vegetarians), a good source of magnesium, high levels of lignans and low in carbs. Go Flax seeds!
You make flax seed meal/flour by simply grinding the seeds in blender/coffee grinder.
1 cup flax seed flour
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-2 tspn garlic powder
1/2 tspn salt
1/2 cup water.
- Heat the oven to 200C/ 400 F.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until you have a dough like mixture.
- Place a parchment sheet on a baking tray. Place the dough on the parchment and cover with another sheet of parchment paper (it's the best way to roll out this mixture). Roll out the mixture but do not let it get too thin.
- Bake in the oven for about 15-18 mins. You don't want the centre too be too soft, but keep an eye onthe edges as they may burn.
- Cut into squares with a pizza cutter/knife.
- Enjoy alone or slathered with a dip. Or some cheese.