This easy low carb creamy chicken soup with artichoke is a bowl of pure comfort food. The thick creamy texture is filling and at only 5g net carbs a bowl is a great keto dish.
Artichokes are added to this low carb chicken soup recipe for extra texture and additional fibre. The flavour of them does not overpower the chicken either. It’s a simple and easy recipe that makes a rich creamy chicken artichoke soup.
Are Artichokes Allowed on Keto?
An artichoke is a thistle disguising itself as a vegetable. Artichokes are great for a keto diet as it low in carbs. A whole artichoke has 13g total carbs and 7g fibre, making it a total 6g net carbs. A great source of fibre as well as Other health benefits of the artichoke is that it may improve liver health, regulate blood pressure and is full of antioxidants and minerals such as magnesium, iron and potassium.
Can You Freeze This Low Carb Creamy Chicken Soup?
If you want to make this soup to freeze it, I recommend that you make the soup as per the recipe below but leave out the cream. Blend the soup, cool it and freeze it. When you are ready to defrost the soup, add the cream after it has been defrosted and has been heated thoroughly.
How to Make Easy Chicken Artichoke Soup
Making this chicken soup could not be easier. All you need is chicken, a tin or jar of artichokes (I used artichoke hearts), a small onion, garlic, stock and cream. I added a couple of bay leaves for an extra flavour. Feel free to add herbs of your choice with this soup. Fresh lemon juice would make this a perfect keto soup for spring.
The soup is blended for a creamy, thick soup but this can be optional. If you want a chunkier soup, do not blend the soup after adding the cream.
Other Low Carb Soups to Slurp
Low Carb Creamy Chicken Soup with Artichoke
- 1 onion peeled & finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled & finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12.5 oz chicken breast skinless & boneless
- 4 oz artichoke hearts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whipping/heavy cream
- Heat the butter in a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and gently cook for 3 minutes until golden.
- Add the chicken and cook for a further 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- When the chicken is cooked through, add the artichokes, chicken stock and bay leaves. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Cover the saucepan, bring the soup to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cream and blend the soup until smooth.