A delicious sugar-free caramel sauce that only has 3 ingredients and takes just 15 minutes to make. This sauce makes a great addition to low carb and gluten-free desserts.
This sauce pours like the real thing and tastes great with no artificial after taste that some store-bought ones can have. It’s so simple to make and quick too.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
All you need is just 3 ingredients to make this tasty keto caramel sauce.
- Cream - heavy cream or whipping cream is best
- Low Carb Sweetener - we use brown monk fruit for an extra depth of flavor, but any other low carb sweeteners such as allulose can be used. I must point out that when you use erythritol in a sauce recipe like this it does not act like sugar and gave have a degree of crystallization.
- Butter - I cannot implore enough that the quality of the butter in this recipe really does make a difference. Use the best grass fed butter you can get. I use a rule of thumb, the more nature yellow the butter is, the better it is. If it’s pale, keep it for making your breakfast eggs!
HOW TO MAKE SUGAR FREE CARAMEL SAUCE
To make this delicious sauce it is as simple as melting butter, adding sweetener and cream. Once you make this you will wonder why you ever purchased it out of a bottle!
Melt butter until golden
Add golden low carb sweetener.
Add heavy cream.
Cook until sauce thickens.
Giving this simple low carb sauce the caramel flavor is due to the butter. The longer you allow it to be golden brown as you cook it, the more intense the caramel flavor and caramel color will be. However, do not let it burn! No turning around to do something else. Keep vigilant or it will taste burnt.
When you are cooking the sauce and it seems that the cream and butter are separating, don’t panic. Pour the mixture into a blender and blitz. What I have also done when this happens, is turn down the heat and slowly keep stirring until the sauce becomes thicker.
LOW CARB SALTED CARAMEL VARIATION
For fans of salted caramel sauce, use salted butter rather than adding salt. Taste the sauce as you stir and adjust for sweetness or only then add additional salt for your own taste.
HOW TO USE CARAMEL SAUCE
The uses of this sugar free caramel sauce are endless. Poured over ice cream, muffins, pancakes or a as side sauce to a cake (all low carb of course!) this sauce is a recipe you will want to make on a weekly basis. My favourite use is with my pecan cheesecake with the chocolate caramel cups coming a close second. I've now used this for my no bake turtle cheesecake and apple crisp cheesecake.
To store the caramel sauce, keep it in a container in the fridge. I use a glass jar and this recipe will harden in the fridge. It may be due to the Artic temperature mine has, as well as the sweetener but all you need to do is gently reheat it to pour it over a dessert. And yes, I have been caught taking a spoon to the hardened sauce late at night as I needed a sweet treat. It tasted great and I would do it again!
Sugar Free Caramel Sauce
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup sweetener
- ½ cup cream, heavy or whipping
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and let it cook, stirring every so often, until fully browned (about 5 minutes) This will give the sauce a deeper caramel flavour.
- Add in your low carb sweetener of choice. Let that dissolve for a minute whilst stirring.
- Pour in heavy cream and stir until combined. Lower the heat and simmer for a minute.
- Cook until you see it getting thicker and stir the sauce intermediately to ensure it does not stick. This should take about 15 minutes.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.