Cabbage are used like noodles in this healthy dish with a creamy sauce and mushrooms. It’s a delicious healthy comfort food dish that is still low in carbs and gluten free.
Although I made this dish with white cabbage, a green cabbage like Savoy would work just as well. It’s basically a dish of shredded cabbage, cooked with mushrooms and a cream sauce. Delicious and simplistic.
I used a mix of mushrooms with this dish, purely as the supermarket had a few packets on offer but feel free to use your own favourite mix. I had a mix of button and oyster mushrooms as they are my favourite. Plus, the Chief Taster does not care for mushrooms so I had a happy time cooking his hatred items when he was away as well as having a dish to myself.
The couple of weeks that he was away meant that our kitchen was full of cucumber and mushrooms with no complaints in the background. I admonish myself for not cooking with these ingredients more when we lived in Barbados as he spent 50% of his working time out of the island.
This cabbage dish is a creamy dish that makes a great pasta replacement. It may seem strange with replacing cabbage with pasta, but sliced and cooked it does make a delicious substitute. Add a creamy mushroom sauce and voila! Dinner is done!
You could add fresh garlic and grated Parmesan cheese to this dish, but make it your own! Add your own trimmings and enjoy!
- 450g Cabbage sliced
- 125g Mushrooms chopped
- 75g Cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Parsley, fresh, chopped optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut the cabbage into thin strips
- Place in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for 8-10 minutes until soft yet firm.
- In a frying pan on a medium heat, add the oil and the mushrooms. Cook for 5-8 minutes.
- Add the cooked cabbage and stir thoroughly.
- Stir in the cream cheese, seasonings and parsley. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy!