This cauliflower steak recipe is served with a rich, creamy mushroom and cheese sauce. A hearty low carb main dish for vegetarians and cauliflower lovers.
If you are a meat eater, don’t run away from this cauliflower steak recipe! The delicious mushroom sauce would be divine with a steak or chicken. It’s such an easy sauce to make too and can be ready in under 15 minutes.
I used gorgonzola cheese for this cauliflower steak sauce as I wanted a strong cheese to go with the mushrooms and much to my delight it was on special offer at the supermarket that week. That may have been my real influence, but I’m sticking to the strong cheese story! Any other blue cheese would work just as well with this sauce.
What I loved about this cauliflower steak recipe is that it is so simple to make. If you were having a “Meatless Monday” and wanted a hearty meal, this would be just right for you. I scoffed mine with a side salad and ate it in record time. Mainly because it was getting cool after taking the photos! The smell of that sauce had my stomach rumbling and I was getting a bit hangry.
Sour cream was used for the sauce as it has a creamy texture when heated. If you wanted to use another cream, I would recommend another thick one. I haven’t tried it, but can’t see why not it would not work. Add extra cheese for more creaminess perhaps. Any excuse to add more cheese is a winner in my books!
WATCH THE VIDEO
- 2 Cauliflower Steaks about 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter unsalted
- 1/3 Onion chopped
- 1 clove Garlic chopped
- 4 oz (112g) Mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup (230g) Sour Cream
- 3 oz (84g) Gorgonzola cheese (or other blue cheese)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F degrees
- Brush the cauliflower with the olive oil and place on a parchment paper lined baking tray
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, turning over the slices half way and brushing the other side with oil.
- In a pan, melt the butter
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until golden and soft.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes until cooked. You may want to add extra butter if the pan starts to go dry.
- Add the sour cream and mix well.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes, then add the Gorgonzola and stir into the cream mixture.
- Simmer for a further minute or two until the cheese has melted. Season to taste.
- Place the cauliflower steaks on a plate and pour the sauce over them.
- Eat and enjoy!