Pizza, from cauliflower you cry? Madness! I thought so too until I read so many great reviews of this recipe and had to try it myself..Wow!...this is so yummy and a low carbers dream.
The original recipe comes from a great site called blog.yourlighterside.com. The pizza base is made from cauliflower rice which is the best discovery for low carbers this century. You can use the base of this to make garlic bread and breadsticks too. I once just cooked the base, slavered it with garlic butter, cooked it for 3 more minutes and rejoiced..and ate the whole thing myself. The best thing about this (apart from being able to have a low carb pizza) is that it is filling but not in that stomach bloating, please don't prod me kitty, heavy feeling of normal pizza. Sometimes the base is not quite as firm as you want so is eaten with knife and fork, but it's trial and error to get this right at times. Does not distract from the taste at all!
The cauliflower does not overpower the dish at all either. This would be a great way into making children eat vegetables too - they would never know...Mwah ha ha....
1 cup cooked cauliflower rice
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 tspsn fennel
1 tspn oregano
1 tspn garlic powder
1 cup tomato sauce
Topping of your choice...cooked meat, veggies, olives
Cheese of choice for topping (and quantity of choice)
- Preheat the oven to 220C/425F degrees.
- Spray a parchment sheet with non stick spray and place on a pizza tray.
- Combine the cauliflower, egg , mozzarella and herbs in a bowl. Mix well. Press the mixture evenly onto the parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the crust from the oven and add the tomato sauce and your toppings of choice. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place under a grill and cook until the cheese is melted.
- Remove, cut into slices, eat and enjoy!