This cauliflower Cheddar cheese jalapeno soup is a creamy soup with a touch of spice. It’s a bowl of spicy comfort low carb soup that is deliciously filling too.
So far, this cauliflower soup recipe is my best one to date. After I made it, sampled it, I dropped my spoon like a Mic and left the kitchen. My work there was done!
I enjoy the flavour combination of cheese and jalapeno in many recipes but thought I would add it to a cauliflower soup. A cauliflower cheese soup might be a bit too bland for my taste and I’d end up reaching for my trusty bottle of hot sauce to add some heat. In went a few jalapeno peppers into the pot! If you don’t like the heat of jalapeno peppers, I would suggest that you add a teaspoon of mustard for extra flavour.
Cauliflower is a great vegetable to make a low carb soup as it gives the creamy consistency when blended you need. No need for thickeners. The Cheddar cheese helps with the creamy consistency too.
How to Make Cauliflower Cheese Jalapeno Soup
The cauliflower is lightly pan-fried before making the soup. I wanted the slight nutty taste that cauliflower has when roasted without having to roast it. I cooked it in the pan until it was slightly golden in colour. This added another depth to the colour of the soup too.
You could skip this stage and add the raw cauliflower florets directly into the soup for a paler colour.
For the cheese, I used a strong Cheddar cheese from the UK. I am fussy with my Cheddar cheeses and prefer a strong mature one. The others seem like a waxy block of milk to me. You could use any Cheddar cheese with different varieties yielding different colours.
Does This Soup Freeze Well?
This soup is great for freezing and I have a tub in the freezer as I type. Defrost it and gently heat it to enjoy another bowl of comforting cauliflower soup.
OTHER SOUPS TO ENJOY:
Cauliflower Cheese Jalapeno Soup
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion peeled & chopped
- 3 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers deseeded & chopped
- 500 ml stock - either vegetable or chicken
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat and add the cauliflower florets. Cook for about 5-8 minutes, turning frequently until slightly golden in colour.
- Add the onion, garlic and jalapeno and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to the boil, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
- Add the cheddar cheese and season to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the heat and blend either by using a hand blender or pouring the soup into a blender.
- Serve, slurp and enjoy!