These low carb apple cinnamon flaxseed muffins
A healthy muffin made with flaxseed and flavoured with the great flavour combination of cinnamon and low carb apple replacement chayote.
This is a low carb healthy flaxseed muffin that is also gluten free with the warm spices of nutmeg and cinnamon with grated chayote. The muffin is firm but moist and a great low carb muffin on the go or breakfast.
Flaxseeds are just so good for you and I keep trying to find different ways to cook with them to make them a regular part of my diet. So a muffin seems as good as any other way to start! The apple keeps the muffin moist and the spices give it a great flavour. I did find that the taste improved the next day though but that might just be my tastebuds rather than the muffin itself.
You could add walnuts to this too which would give a lovely texture and taste. Or perhaps a mashed banana instead of the apple? Either way, it's a way to make you eat some flax seed!
Ingredients for Low Carb Apple Cinnamon Flaxseed Muffins
The ingredients for these healthy flaxseed muffins are very similar to my breakfast muffins.
- Flaxseed flour - I use ready ground flaxseed meal but you could grind your own flaxseeds in a coffee grinder. Ground flaxseed can vary from dark to golden which will give a different colour and flavour. The muffins in the photos are made with dark flaxseed.
- Almond flour - I find the addition of almond flour to a flaxseed muffin recipe gives the muffin an extra texture and flavour.
- Erythritol - This is my sweetener of choice but any other low carb sweetner such as Swerve or Monkfruit would be find.
- Chayote - Chayote makes a great low replacement for apple and zucchini would also work with this recipe.
- Coconut Oil - Butter can be substituted but it must be melted.
- Eggs - I use medium size eggs. If you are using large eggs, 3 would be sufficient.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg - Two warm spices that are perfect with apple or "mock apple"
Other Low Carb Muffins to Bake
Apple Cinnamon Flaxseed Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- In a bowl add the flaxseed, almond flour, erythritol, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder and mix together.
- Add the grated chayote, eggs and coconut oil and mix well into a batter.
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes (the flax seed will swell with the moisture).
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into a greased muffin tin, filling up just underneath the top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.