These low carb apple cinnamon flaxseed muffins
A healthy muffin made with flaxseed and flavoured with the great flavour combination of cinnamon and low carb apple replacement chayote.
This is a low carb healthy flaxseed muffin that is also gluten free with the warm spices of nutmeg and cinnamon with grated chayote. The muffin is firm but moist and a great low carb muffin on the go or breakfast.
Flaxseeds are just so good for you and I keep trying to find different ways to cook with them to make them a regular part of my diet. So a muffin seems as good as any other way to start! The apple keeps the muffin moist and the spices give it a great flavour. I did find that the taste improved the next day though but that might just be my tastebuds rather than the muffin itself.
You could add walnuts to this too which would give a lovely texture and taste. Or perhaps a mashed banana instead of the apple? Either way, it's a way to make you eat some flax seed!
Ingredients for Low Carb Apple Cinnamon Flaxseed Muffins
The ingredients for these healthy flaxseed muffins are very similar to my breakfast muffins.
- Flaxseed flour - I use ready ground flaxseed meal but you could grind your own flaxseeds in a coffee grinder. Ground flaxseed can vary from dark to golden which will give a different colour and flavour. The muffins in the photos are made with dark flaxseed.
- Almond flour - I find the addition of almond flour to a flaxseed muffin recipe gives the muffin an extra texture and flavour.
- Erythritol - This is my sweetener of choice but any other low carb sweetner such as Swerve or Monkfruit would be find.
- Chayote - Chayote makes a great low replacement for apple and zucchini would also work with this recipe.
- Coconut Oil - Butter can be substituted but it must be melted.
- Eggs - I use medium size eggs. If you are using large eggs, 3 would be sufficient.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg - Two warm spices that are perfect with apple or "mock apple"
Other Low Carb Muffins to Bake
Apple Cinnamon Flaxseed Muffins
- 1 cup flaxseed, ground
- 4 eggs medium
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 chayote peeled & grated
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup erythritol low carb sweetener
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- In a bowl add the flaxseed, almond flour, erythritol, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder and mix together.
- Add the grated chayote, eggs and coconut oil and mix well into a batter.
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes (the flax seed will swell with the moisture).
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture into a greased muffin tin, filling up just underneath the top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
I tried these out today, using banana instead of the sweetener, which didn't work. It might have if there was apple in the recipe, which oddly I didn't notice till I was eating them. I think it might have needed a bit of salt too, but I am new to making healthier versions of baked goods.
The erythritol is not mentioned in the instructions - do I add it to the dry or wet ingredients?
To the dry. I've corrected the instructions. Thanks for letting me know.
Hi is the flaxseed golden variety please
Yes it is.
These look great. Could you please tell me how many carbs per muffin
Hi Chris, I've updated the recipe with the nutritional Info. The recipe should make 8 muffins and the nutritional info per muffin - 192 Calories, 14g Fat, 7g Protein, 11g Total Carbs, 5g Fibre, 6g Net Carbs
I make this recipe once a week, it's our absolute favourite!!! I make it without the apple, but add dried cranberries, raisins, candied ginger and chocolate chips. 🙂
You can add whatever your heart desires to the recipe, minus the apple.
Thank you so much for such great recipes! I ams o glad I came across this website! Could you please advise where I can buy Agave sugar in Dubai?
Hi Neha, Thanks for enjoying the blog! Try the Organic Food Store at the Dubai Mall or Spinney's. Enjoy!