These mixed berry muffins have an addition of a cream cheese centre. It's a true combination of red, white and blue!
I used raspberries and blue berries for the colour and the flavour. Although I used fresh berries, frozen would have been fine too. The combination of the sharp berries along with the vanilla flavoured cream cheese centre is just delicious and perfect for an afternoon tea. Or breakfast should the mood take you! You know I will never judge you! I've done worse...
As you make these colourful muffins you may want to add more berries if need be. As you spoon the muffin mixture into the tin, you will need to move some of the berries around as you put the cream cheese centre mixture on top to avoid any lumps. If you have any of the filling mixture put it aside and use it as a topping. Or just eat it out of the bowl whilst the muffins bake in the oven.
Mixed Berry Cream Cheese Muffins
- ¼ cup 28g coconut flour
- ¼ cup 56g butter, melted
- ¼ cup 54 erythritol (or sugar substitute of your choice)
- 2 tblspns coconut milk
- ¼ cup 31graspberries
- ¼ cup 37g blueberries
- 3 eggs
- ½ tspn vanilla essence
- ½ tspn baking powder
- ¼ tspn salt
- 3 oz 84g cream cheese, softened
- 1 tspn vanilla essence
- 2 tblspns erythritol or sugar substitute of your choice
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F degrees.
- Blend together the butter, eggs, erythritol, coconut milk, and vanilla essence.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt, and whisk until there are no lumps and there is a smooth batter.
- Gentle add the berries and mix well.
- Blend the filling ingredients together until smooth and there are no lumps. Add any extra cream cheese if the mixture is too weak.
- Spoon a large tablespoon of the mixture into cupcake cups or a greased muffin tray so that the bottom is covered.
- Place a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling on top of the muffin batter in the centre of each muffin cup.
- Spoon the remaining muffin mixture over the cream cheese until covered. You may want to move the berries about to ensure even coverage too.
- Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
- Eat and enjoy!