Enjoy the delectable sweetness and earthy goodness of air fryer roasted beets that are both easy to prepare and health-conscious. This dish makes a fantastic addition to any meal, offering a vibrant burst of color and flavor to your table.
Roasting beets in an air fryer yields perfectly tender and caramelized results with a fraction of the oil used in conventional roasting.
Are Beets Low Carb
While beets do contain carbohydrates, they are also a good source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The carbohydrates in beets come from natural sugars, primarily sucrose, but they also provide dietary fiber, which can help regulate blood sugar levels and contribute to feelings of fullness.
One cup of raw beet slices or cubes contains approximately 9 grams of carbohydrates.
One cup of cooked beets (boiled or roasted) contains approximately 16-17 grams of carbohydrates.
Should You Peel Beets Before Roasting
Many people choose not to peel beets, especially if they are roasting, boiling, or steaming them. The skin becomes tender when cooked, and it contains valuable nutrients and fiber. Leaving the skin on can also enhance the color and appearance of your dishes.
Whether you peel or not, it's essential to wash beets thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. Scrub them gently under running water to ensure they are clean before cooking.
For this recipe we are using simple seasoning to allow the flavor of the beets to shine. You can add your favorite seasoning to the beets.
- Beets - choose beets that feel firm and solid when you gently squeeze them. Avoid beets that are soft, mushy, or have noticeable wrinkles, as these are signs of aging or spoilage.
- Olive oil - avocado oil or coconut oil could be substituted.
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Air Fryer Roasted Beets
Roasted beets in the air fryer is quicker than roasting them in the oven as well as using less oil.
Peel and cut the beetroot into even pieces.
Mix the oil with the seasoning.
Cover the beet pieces in the oil.
Add the seasoned beets to the air fryer and cook.
Let the air-fried beets cool down to room temperature before storing them. This helps prevent condensation from forming inside the storage container, which can lead to sogginess.
Transfer the air-fried beets to an airtight container with a secure lid. A glass or plastic container with a tight seal works well. Make sure the container is clean and dry before adding the beets.
Store the container of air-fried beets in the refrigerator. Beets are perishable, and refrigeration will help prolong their freshness. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Seasoning air-fryer beets can elevate their flavor and make them even more delicious. Here are some seasoning suggestions to consider when preparing air-fryer beets:
- Garlic: Garlic complements beets beautifully. You can use minced garlic or garlic powder for a mild flavor or roast whole garlic cloves with the beets for a more robust taste.
- Fresh Herbs: Add freshness and aroma by tossing the beets with fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary, dill, or parsley before air frying. Chop the herbs finely and mix them with the beets and olive oil.
- Balsamic Vinegar: A drizzle of balsamic vinegar before or after air frying can add a tangy sweetness that pairs wonderfully with beets. It also creates a lovely glaze as the beets cook.
- Citrus Zest: Grated citrus zest, such as lemon or orange, can provide a zesty and bright contrast to the earthy flavor of beets. Sprinkle it over the beets after cooking.
- Spices: Experiment with spices like cumin, paprika, or coriander for a unique flavor profile. Beets are versatile and can take on various spice combinations.
- Nuts and Seeds: Consider adding a crunchy element by mixing in toasted nuts (e.g., walnuts, pecans) or seeds (e.g., sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds) for texture and flavor.
- Cheese: After air frying, you can sprinkle crumbled feta, goat cheese, or grated Parmesan over the beets for a creamy and savory twist.
How to Serve Air Fryer Roasted Beets
The versatility of air fryer roasted beets means you can incorporate them into a wide range of dishes, from salads to entrees and even desserts. Experiment with different serving options to find your favorite way to enjoy them.
- Simple Side Dish: Serve air fryer roasted beets as a straightforward side dish. Season them with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley or dill for a pop of color and freshness.
- Beet Salad: Incorporate air fryer roasted beets into a salad. Combine them with greens like arugula or spinach, crumbled goat cheese, toasted nuts (such as walnuts or pecans), and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. The combination of flavors and textures is delightful.
- Appetizer: Serve air fryer roasted beet slices as an appetizer. Top them with crème fraîche or Greek yogurt, sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs.
- Bowl of Soup: Add air fryer roasted beets to a hearty vegetable soup for added sweetness and texture. They can complement the flavors of a tomato-based soup nicely.
- Pickled Beets: Turn your air fryer roasted beets into homemade pickled beets. Slice or cube the beets and pickle them in a mixture of vinegar, sweetener, and spices. They make a tangy and vibrant condiment or topping for salads and sandwiches.
- Pizza Topping: Use thinly sliced air fryer roasted beets as a unique and colorful pizza topping. Combine them with mozzarella cheese, arugula, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze for a gourmet twist.
- Smoothie: Believe it or not, you can add roasted beets to your smoothie for a natural sweetness and vibrant color. Blend them with fruits like berries, yogurt, and a touch of sweetener for a nutritious and visually appealing beverage.
- Dip: Purée air fryer roasted beets with Greek yogurt or cream cheese to create a vibrant beet dip. Season it with garlic, lemon juice, and your choice of herbs and spices. Serve with pita chips or vegetable sticks for dipping.
Air Fryer Roasted Beets
- 3 medium beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for about 5 minutes to ensure it's hot and ready for cooking.
- While the air fryer is preheating, prepare the beets. Wash them thoroughly, peel the skins (if desired), and cut them into uniform 1-inch cubes or wedges. This ensures even cooking.
- In a large bowl, mix the oil and salt and pepper. Add the beet pieces to the bowl making sure they are evenly coated.
- Carefully place the seasoned beet pieces in the air fryer basket in a single layer, making sure not to overcrowd them. If your air fryer is on the smaller side, you may need to roast the beets in batches.
- Set the air fryer to 400°F (200°C) and cook the beets for about 15-20 minutes. Be sure to shake the basket or toss the beets halfway through to ensure they cook evenly and develop a nice caramelized exterior.
- Once the beets are done, carefully remove them from the air fryer basket using tongs or a spatula.
- Serve your air fryer roasted beets hot as a side dish or incorporate them into various recipes like salads, bowls, or as a delightful accompaniment to your main course.
The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator.