A colourful and tasty frittata made with tomato, artichoke, feta and basil that would be perfect for a picnic or a brunch. As I sadly was not having either, I ate it for lunch with a delicious side salad and a side of coleslaw. I think that it’s the artichokes that give this frittata some weight.
The fresh basil lifts this dish with a taste of the summer and the tomatoes give needed colour and go well with the feta. Take away the eggs from this dish and you’ve got a tasty salad!
However, the Chief Taster was not happy with the tomatoes as he cut into one and it spurted out in three places over his shirt. His carefully ironed white shirt. Whilst he was on his lunch break. Oh joy! I however, who is usually child messy, was unscathed and left with a clean t-shirt. Despite “tomato-gate” he enjoyed the frittata and also commented on how it was a “summery dish”.
For the artichokes, I used a small jar of marinated one as I cannot get any fresh ones here. If I could, I don’t have the time or inclination to spend my time wrestling with fresh ones. I don’t care how easy Martha Stewart videos make it look! As an imported vegetable they would be expensive too. I carry smelling salts in my handbag when I go grocery shopping to prepare myself for the inevitable shock of the price of cauliflower.
- 5 Eggs
- 1 onion peeled & chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled & chopped
- 185g artichokes tin/jar/fresh
- 1/4 cup (30g) Feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Basil fresh, chopped
- 1/3 cup (10-12) cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan (I use a 7 inch pan) and add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 4 minutes until tender.
- Add the artichokes, tomatoes and basil and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and season.
- Crumble the feta and add to the eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes until the base is firm and cooked.
- Place the pan until a grill, on a medium heat and cook for 7-10 minutes until firm and golden.
- Eat and enjoy!