This low carb strawberry blueberry pie is made with an almond flour cream cheese pastry. Baked with decorations for a 4th July party, this is entirely optional! A great low carb and gluten free pie for the summer.
How to make a strawberry blueberry pie
The key to any good pie is the pastry. With low carb baking it can be a challenge to get the same elasticity of regular pastry without the gluten. However, you can make a delicious low carb pie crust with a couple of secret ingredients that turn your pastry into a pliable golden delight!
Low carb pastry dough
I find that this low carb pie dough is pliable enough to roll out like regular pastry. Some low carb pastry recipes can be a bit crumbly and you have to press the dough into the baking dish. Not with this recipe!
The ingredients used for this keto pie recipe are:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Cream cheese - this helps to give the dough a creamy and soft texture.
- Xanthan gum - an essential ingredient in giving this pastry it's rollable texture
- Baking powder
I don't precook the berries as I like them to be firm when baked, rather than mushy. Feel free to pre cook yours though!
There will be leftover dough as the dough recipe is for a full pie. You don't have to roll out and decorate the top like I have, but can use the dough for a full pie lid. I made a couple of mini pie cases with my left over dough as a bonus dessert for the Chief Taster!
More low carb pie recipes to enjoy
Watch the video here
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Strawberry Blueberry Pie
- 12 oz strawberries
- 6 oz blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup allulose or other low carb sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds ground (I used my coffee grinder)
- 1 small egg beaten
Prepare the berries
- Wash and dry the fruit.
- Place the berries in a bowl each with ¼ cup of the sweetener between them. Allow to sit whilst you make the pastry. This is to draw the natural juices out.
Make the Pastry
- Place the flours, baking powder, cream cheese, xanthan gum, egg, butter, salt, baking powder and low carb sweetener into a food processor and blend until you have a dough.
- Form the dough into a ball with your hands, cover with parchment paper and place in the fridge. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- Add the ground chia, lemon juice and remaining sweetener to the two bowls of berries. Stir well.
- Lightly butter an 8 inch pie dish.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and cut into half.
- Place one half of the pastry dough on a sheet of parchment paper and cover it with another layer of parchment paper.
- Roll out gently into a circle slightly larger than the pie dish.
- Remove the top layer of parchment paper, then using a hand under the bottom parchment paper place the pastry into the pie dish.
- Spoon the filling into the pie dish. First spoon the blueberries in the top left hand quarter of the pie. Fill the remaining pie with the strawberry mixture.
- Take the second half of the dough roll out. Using a star cookie cutter, cut a few star shapes out. My cutter was medium size and I cut out 3 stars. Place the stars over the blueberry filling in the pie.
- Cut strips from the remaining rolled pastry and place the over the strawberry filling in the pie.
- Brush the pastry strips and stars with the egg wash.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the top of the pie is lightly golden and firm.
- Serve with cream or low carb vanilla ice cream.