This low carb strawberry blueberry pie is made with an almond flour cream cheese pastry. Baked with decorations for a 4th July party, this is entirely optional! A great low carb and gluten free pie for the summer.
How to make a strawberry blueberry pie
The key to any good pie is the pastry. With low carb baking it can be a challenge to get the same elasticity of regular pastry without the gluten. However, you can make a delicious low carb pie crust with a couple of secret ingredients that turn your pastry into a pliable golden delight!
Low carb pastry dough
I find that this low carb pie dough is pliable enough to roll out like regular pastry. Some low carb pastry recipes can be a bit crumbly and you have to press the dough into the baking dish. Not with this recipe!
The ingredients used for this keto pie recipe are:
- Almond flour
- Coconut flour
- Cream cheese - this helps to give the dough a creamy and soft texture.
- Xanthan gum - an essential ingredient in giving this pastry it's rollable texture
- Baking powder
I don't precook the berries as I like them to be firm when baked, rather than mushy. Feel free to pre cook yours though!
There will be leftover dough as the dough recipe is for a full pie. You don't have to roll out and decorate the top like I have, but can use the dough for a full pie lid. I made a couple of mini pie cases with my left over dough as a bonus dessert for the Chief Taster!
More low carb pie recipes to enjoy
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Strawberry Blueberry Pie
- 12 oz strawberries
- 6 oz blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup allulose or other low carb sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds ground (I used my coffee grinder)
- 1 small egg beaten
Prepare the berries
- Wash and dry the fruit.
- Place the berries in a bowl each with ¼ cup of the sweetener between them. Allow to sit whilst you make the pastry. This is to draw the natural juices out.
Make the Pastry
- Place the flours, baking powder, cream cheese, xanthan gum, egg, butter, salt, baking powder and low carb sweetener into a food processor and blend until you have a dough.
- Form the dough into a ball with your hands, cover with parchment paper and place in the fridge. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- Add the ground chia, lemon juice and remaining sweetener to the two bowls of berries. Stir well.
- Lightly butter an 8 inch pie dish.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and cut into half.
- Place one half of the pastry dough on a sheet of parchment paper and cover it with another layer of parchment paper.
- Roll out gently into a circle slightly larger than the pie dish.
- Remove the top layer of parchment paper, then using a hand under the bottom parchment paper place the pastry into the pie dish.
- Spoon the filling into the pie dish. First spoon the blueberries in the top left hand quarter of the pie. Fill the remaining pie with the strawberry mixture.
- Take the second half of the dough roll out. Using a star cookie cutter, cut a few star shapes out. My cutter was medium size and I cut out 3 stars. Place the stars over the blueberry filling in the pie.
- Cut strips from the remaining rolled pastry and place the over the strawberry filling in the pie.
- Brush the pastry strips and stars with the egg wash.
- Bake for 35 minutes until the top of the pie is lightly golden and firm.
- Serve with cream or low carb vanilla ice cream.