These easy mini spanakopita bites are a delicious low carb appetizer based on the Greek dish of spinach and feta cheese.
Fathead dough is used as the base for these tasty spinach feta bites. I’ve baked them in a mini muffin tin to keep the dough in place. Quick and easy to make, these easy spanakopita bites are delicious warm or cold.
WHAT IS SPANAKOPITA?
Traditionally, spanakopita is a Greek savoury pie made with filo pasty and filled with a mixture of spinach, feta cheese, spring onions, eggs and seasoning. Utterly delicious cold or warm it is sadly off our low carb menu due to the pastry. However, we can still enjoy the spinach and feta cheese combination in a low carb pastry with this mini spanakopita bites recipe.
HOW TO MAKE MINI SPINACH FETA BITES
Using a Fathead dough, I rolled out the dough and used a star shape cookie cutter for the tart case. You could use any shape you like, just ensure that it fits into a muffin tin. I used a mini muffin tin to make small and dainty appetizers you could pop in your mouth, but a normal sized muffin tin would yield a hearty mini tart.
This was giving a huge thumbs up from the Chief Taster. I had a day baking in the kitchen and was churning out tasty morsels all day long and these were his favourite. For the photo’s I popped a cranberry on top just to make them look a bit festive but we didn’t eat these mini spinach tarts with them!
If you are looking for a spinach appetizer with pastry that is NOT Fathead dough then I thoroughly recommend these cheesy spinach rolls with apple slaw. The side of apple slaw really brings the dish together.
OTHER LOW CARB APPETIZER RECIPES TO ENJOY
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more info.
Mini Spanakopita Bites
- 1 ½ cups Mozzarella cheese grated
- 1 oz cream cheese cut into squares
- 1 medium egg beaten
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup spinach cooked
- ¼ cup Feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 medium egg beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/370F degrees.
Make the Dough
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a bowl. Cook in the microwave for 60 seconds. Stir and zap for another 30 seconds. If the mixture has not melted give it another blast in the microwave.
- Stir well, and add the egg, almond flour and garlic powder.
- Mix until you have a dough mixture. Don’t be shy about using your hands to mix the dough. If it feels too sticky, add more almond flour.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill the mixture.
Make the Filling
- In a bowl, mix the spinach, Feta & Parmesan cheese together.
- Add the egg, garlic powder, salt & pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Roll out a quarter of the dough in between two sheets of parchment paper to about 1 cm thickness.
- Cut out shapes for the base. I used a large star cookie cutter to cover a 24 cup mini muffin tin but you could cut out any shape you want. The main thing is that the shape will allow a small groove to spoon the mixture into.
- Lightly grease the mini muffin tin with olive oil.
- Gently place the star shapes into the mini muffin tin, pressing the centre down to make a small well.
- Spoon the mixture into the wells.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden.