This no margarita ice cream has all the flavours of a classic Mexican cocktail without the added sugar making this a great low carb ice cream treat for adults.
This has been adapted from a Nigella Lawson recipe by using a low carb sweetener and orange extract to make it a low carb dessert. This is an easy recipe to make as it does not require an ice cream maker but is just as smooth and creamy.
How to make low carb ice cream
Make sure you use a good quality heavy cream. In the UK I would use cream called double cream. This is thicker than whipping cream and in some countries is called thickened cream. If all fails use whipping cream.
To make this margarita ice cream, it is as simple as mixing the ingredients and whipping the cream. Chill until firm and eat. The tequila helps ice crystals from forming and makes a creamy ice cream for adults.
The orange extract that I use is a homemade recipe. For store bought halve the quantity and adjust to taste.
Fresh lime juice and the rind is the best option for flavour but you could use lime juice from a bottle (checking for no added sugar)
This is best eaten freshly frozen. Either make it overnight to enjoy the next day or first thing in the morning for a dinner party.
Serve a low carb ice cream float (for adults) and place a scoop or two in a tall glass of low carb soda (lime flavour is a great option)
Other Low Ice Cream Recipes
Margarita Ice Cream
- 125 ml lime juice
- 2 tablespoons limes, zest
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 3 tablespoons orange extract half for store bought
- 1 cup erythritol, powdered
- 500 ml double cream or heavy cream
- Pour the lime juice, orange extract and tequila into a bowl and add the powdered erthyritol. Mix well until blended.
- Add the cream and lime zest and whip until firm.
- Spoon into an airtight container and put in the freezer for at least 4 hours or ideally overnight.
- Scoop, eat and enjoy!