This keto lemon swiss roll has a light lemon sponge with a lemon cheesecake filling for a low carb spring dessert. At only 3g net per slice too!
Made with coconut flour and no butter, this sponge is so light you will find yourself enjoying a second slice. This keto cake bakes in under 20 minutes and is quick to make too. It's a great cake to make in a hurry.
Making a keto lemon swiss roll
The secret of this light sponge is separating the eggs. The whisked egg whites give this low carb cake the volume and lift that is needed when baking with coconut flour. Ensure that the eggs are at room temperature.
For the sweetener I chose allulose as the flavour is pleasant with the right touch of sweetness. Any other low carb sweetener can be used.
The lemon cheesecake filling can be changed to the low carb filling of your choice. Try simple whipped cream
Add blueberries or raspberries to the filling for an colour and flavour.
This swiss roll cake does not have butter so can be an option for anyone with a dairy free allergy. The filling would need to be changed
If the cake cracks when you are unrolling it, don't despair. Hide it under piped cream!
More low carb cakes to bake
Keto Lemon Pound Cake with Lupin Flour
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Lemon Swiss Roll
- 6 medium eggs separated
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup allulose or other low carb sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup allulose
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup cream heavy/whipping
Make the Sponge
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Grease and line a rectangle baking tin ( 9 x 13 inch, 22.9cm x 33cm) with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In another medium bowl, beat the egg yolks, lemon juice,lemon zest, vanilla and allulose together.
- Add the coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well until smooth.
- Gently fold in the egg whites until you have a light batter. Don’t overwork folding the egg whites in.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking tin and smooth evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until firm.
- Remove the baking tin from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Put a large piece of parchment paper on your countertop and place the baking tin on the parchment paper, sponge facing down. Remove the tin from the sponge.
- Using the parchment paper on the top of the sponge, gently roll up the cake. This is to keep the sponge in the correct shape before adding the filling.
- Set aside to cool.
Make the Filling
- Whisk the cream cheese in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice, allulose and the cream. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick enough to spread.
- Gently unroll the cake, remove the top layer of parchment paper and spread the cream cheese filling over the sponge evenly.
- Using the outer layer of parchment paper roll up the sponge again.
- Trim the edges for a neater sponge.
- Decorate as you wish with cream, blueberries and lemon slices (optional)
- Slice, eat and enjoy!
Leave a Reply