A light low carb red velvet roll cake is filled with a smooth cream cheese filling for a colourful and easy dessert. This is a coconut flour cake so it's gluten free and nut free too.
For those of you who enjoy a red velvet cake, try this easy red velvet roll cake. It's a butter free sponge recipe that you could use for other swiss roll cake flavours too.
How to make a red velvet roll
This is a simple keto dessert recipe that takes just 15 to 20 minutes to bake. I find that it's a great dessert to make when I'm having a "multi-tasking" moment in the kitchen.
What you need
Just a few ingredients are need to make this cake.
- Eggs - I use medium sized eggs
- Coconut Flour - I'm yet to try a roll cake with almond flour. Coconut flour is my current choice
- Monkfruit - I enjoy a monkfruit/erythritol blend for my sweetener but any other low carb sweetener will work.
- Cocoa - Sugar free of course! I used 100% cocoa.
- Red food colouring - No red velvet cake would be complete without it!
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
You may have leftover cream cheese filling. I found that this recipe made a large batch of filling and although I slathered as much as the sponge could take on, there was still a bit leftover. Use if for another recipe or enjoy it slathered over pancakes or waffles. Or eat it with a spoon over the kitchen sink 😉
More Low Carb Roll Cakes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Red Velvet Roll
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup monkfruit sweetener or other low carb sweetener
- 1 ½ cups cream heavy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the sponge
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees
- Grease and line a rectangle baking tin ( 9 x 13 inch, 22.9cm x 33cm) with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In another medium bowl, beat the egg yolks, vanilla and monkfruit together.
- Add the coconut flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and red food colouring. Mix well and add any additional colouring to get the shade of red you want.
- Gently fold in the egg whites until you have an even coloured batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the baking tin and smooth evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until firm.
- Remove the baking tin from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Put a large piece of parchment paper on your countertop and place the baking tin on the parchment paper, sponge facing down. Remove the tin from the sponge.
- Using the parchment paper on the top of the sponge, gently roll up the cake. This is to keep the sponge in the correct shape before adding the filling.
- Set aside to cool.
Make the Filling
- Whisk the cream cheese and the monkfruit sweetener in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and the cream. Continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and thick enough to spread.
- Gently unroll the cake, remove the top layer of parchment paper and spread the cream cheese filling evenly over the sponge.
- Using the outer layer of parchment paper roll up the sponge again.
- Trim the edges for a neater sponge.
- Slice, eat and enjoy!