This easy low carb mushroom tarragon soup is a bowl of creamy comfort food. The fresh tarragon gives the mushroom soup a deep and rich flavour.
If you enjoy canned cream of mushroom soup, you can make your own low carb cream of mushroom soup in 30 minutes. It’s a simple recipe made in one saucepan and can be served smooth or chunky, depending upon your personal preference.
I found this mushroom soup so delicious that I even had a bowl for breakfast. I was hunger, opened the fridge for inspiration, saw the container of soup and thought to myself “why not”? There’s no breakfast police or rules of what food you can start the day with! I would do it again!
Cream of mushroom soup is delicious but sometimes you want an added flavour to give it an extra something. What can I add to mushroom soup I pondered to myself. I decided to use fresh tarragon because it goes so well with mushrooms. Plus it was available in the stores here! The result is a low carb mushroom soup perfect for a dinner party as well as lunch or dinner.
CAN I FREEZE THIS MUSHROOM SOUP?
This soup freezes well but when reheating it, make sure you stir it well to preventing curdling of the cream. If you are making this soup ahead and want to freeze it first, omit the mascarpone cream and add it when you are reheating the mushroom soup.
MUSHROOM TARRAGON SOUP TIPS
- Make the soup dairy free and vegan by using coconut cream in place of the cream.
- I used mascarpone cream as it is heavy and rich. You could use heavy cream or even cream cheese instead.
- Many varieties of mushrooms could be used to make this soup. I used regular white mushrooms, but chestnut, portobello, shitake or oyster would be delicious. You need a mushroom with a strong flavour to pair well with the tarragon.
- If do you not have fresh tarragon you can use the dried herb instead but reduce the quantity from the recipe as the dried herb can be stronger in flavour. 1 tablespoon of fresh tarragon is equal to 1 teaspoon of dried tarragon.
- Serve with a low carb bread roll for a filling meal
OTHER LOW CARB SOUPS TO ENJOY
Mushroom Tarragon Soup
- 8 oz white mushrooms chopped
- 1 onion, medium peeled & chopped
- 3 garlic cloves peeled & chopped
- 1 oz butter
- 2 tablespoon fresh tarragon chopped
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 oz mascarpone cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- In a saucepan heat the butter on a medium heat
- Gently cook the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and gently cook for 5 minutes. Cover with a lid to made sure the mushroom juices come out.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the stock and stir well.
- Add the fresh tarragon and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the mascarpone cheese.
- Either serve as chunky or pour into a blender and blend for a smooth soup.
Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.