This keto chocolate pecan pie has a buttery coconut flour pie crust, filled with a rich and creamy chocolate pecan filling. Pecan pie at it's best! Low carb and gluten free, this is a welcome pie to your holiday table.
A variation of the classic pecan pie with added chocolate. What's not to love? We loved this so much that I baked it again after the first one. The combination of chocolate with the toasted chopped pecans is just a divine flavor.
We added bourbon to our second bake. Cannot recommend that enough too!
- How many carbs in pecan pie?
- Ingredients for the low carb pie crust
- Ingredients for the sugar free keto pecan pie filling
- How to make keto chocolate pecan pie
- The keto pie crust
- The keto chocolate pecan pie filling
- How do you know if a pecan pie is done?
- How to serve low carb pecan pie
- How to store and freeze pecan pie
- Recipe Tips
- More low carb holiday dessert recipes
- Keto Chocolate Pecan Pie
How many carbs in pecan pie?
Traditional pecan pie made with a flour pie crust and a sugary filling can be up to 65g net carbs! This low carb sugar free recipe has 6g net carbs a slice. It's amazing how many carbs are in white flour and sugar!
Ingredients for the low carb pie crust
Coconut flour is used for this pie crust, purely as I bake a lot with it. You could use almond flour for the pie crust. We have an almond flour pie crust in our Peanut Butter Pie for guidance.
Ingredients for the sugar free keto pecan pie filling
We used a brown monkfruit sweetener for the extra flavour it gives, but a white sweetener could be used too.
How to make keto chocolate pecan pie
This is an easy low carb pie recipe that you will want to make again and again! The pie crust is baked blind for 10 to 15 minutes to firm up before adding the filling.
Pecans are toasted before being added to the filling for a great flavour. Toasting the pecans brings out their flavour and we recommend it.
The keto pie crust
This pie crust is pressed into the pie dish meaning that there is no rolling in between parchment paper. It's a slightly sticky dough and might stick to the parchment paper.
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until mixed.
- Form into a dough, wrap in parchment paper and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator to firm. It makes it easier to press into the pie dish.
- Place in a buttered 9 inch pie dish and press out along the bottom and the sides as evenly as you can.
- You are ready to blind bake the crust.
The keto chocolate pecan pie filling
Rich, fudgy, chocolate filling with pecans is almost a perfect match. Once your pecans are toasted the filling is easily made in one bowl.
The pecan topping is purely optional. We covered our pie in pecan halves as it looked pretty and gives an extra crunch. It will increase the carb content though. You could add just a few on top rather than packing in the pecans as we did. I need pretty photos to lure you into trying my recipe!
- Melt the butter and chocolate chips.
- Add the other ingredients and mix. Yes, it's that simple!
- Pour the mixture into the blind baked pie crust and top with pecans (if you wish).
- Our tart is ready to bake.
How do you know if a pecan pie is done?
The top of the pie should be fairly firm. A little jiggle in the center is fine as the filling will firm once cooled and stored in the refrigerator .
How to serve low carb pecan pie
Although you could serve this sugar free pecan pie warm, we recommend that the pie is allowed to completely cool. If you keep the pie in the refrigerator overnight, the filling firms up and takes on a delicious fudgy chocolate and crunchy nut filling.
You could warm the pie gently after cooling if you are to serve it the next day. Warm it in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
Serve with a large dollop of whipped cream or sugar free ice cream. Try a serving of our keto butter pecan ice cream with it. I laughed at my photos as my cream melted faster than I expected in our heat!
How to store and freeze pecan pie
This low carb pecan pie should be stored in the refrigerator and covered as you don't want it to absorb any of the other smells in your fridge. It should last up to 5 days in the fridge.
If you want to freeze the pie, slice it and wrap the slices in parchment paper. Place in an air tight container or zip lock bag and they should last in the freezer for 3 months.
Add bourbon or whiskey to the pie filling for an extra flavour. We tried it and loved it. Add about ¼ cup to the filling mixture and taste test. Adults only though!
This could be adapted to be made into a crustless pecan pie recipe. Omit the pie crust and bake the filling in a butter pie dish.
If the pie edges start to darken when you are baking the filling, cover them with foil.
More low carb holiday dessert recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Keto Chocolate Pecan Pie
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup butter cold
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons monkfruit/erythritol sweetener powdered preferred
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pecan pie filling
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 oz chocolate chips sugar free
- 3 medium eggs
- ¼ cup brown sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons sugar free maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 50 halve pecans (optional)
Make the Pie Pastry
- Place all the pastry ingredients into a food processor and blitz until you have a dough. If it is too crumbly, add cold water.
- Remove and wrap in parchment paper. Place in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Grease/butter an 9 inch pie dish and place the pastry ball in the centre. With clean hands, gently press the pastry into the plate and up against the edges to make the crust.
- Place the pie dish on a baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes until slightly golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
Toast the Pecans
- This can be done at the same time the pastry case is cooking to save time.
- Place the pecan halves on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool before use.
Make the Pecan Pie Filling
- Place the butter and chocolate chips in a medium bowl. Melt either in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Stir until all the chocolate chips are melted.
- Add the brown sweetener, eggs, vanilla, maple syrup, cocoa, cream and salt to the melted chocolate mixture. Stir well.
- Chop the toasted pecans and stir into the filling mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Decorate the top with the pecan halves.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 180C/350F degrees until slightly firm. If there's a bit of jiggle in the centre this will set once cooled.
- Remove from the oven and cool before serving. Best made the day before and chilled in the fridge overnight for the filling to set and become extra fudge like.
Leave a Reply