These low carb chocolate chip pecan cookies are soft and chewy with the delicious crunch of nuts and chocolate. A healthier and gluten free version of a favourite cookie.
If you are a lover of pecans, these are the cookies for you! Made with ground pecans they are a great flourless cookie that is also gluten free too. Add chocolate chips for a perfect chewy treat. I found these delicious warm from the oven when they are soft and utterly addictive the next day when the firmed up after being stored in the fridge.
Are Pecans Low Carb?
Not only are pecans low in carbs they are high in fibre too. With just over 1 gram of net carb per 28 grams they can happily be enjoyed. They are great for low carb baking and make great chewy pecan cookies.
How to Make Pecan Cookies
For the ground pecans, I toast the nuts first, allow them to cool then run them through the food processor. Be careful not to overwork them or you will be left with pecan butter (which can be used in a cookie recipe too!).
I’ve also made these chocolate chip pecan cookies without an egg as I found that my cookie mixture was soft. However, take into consideration that I am baking in a hot country and my butter turns soft as soon as I take it out of the fridge. So, the recipe includes an optional egg.
Everything is thrown into a bowl, mixed, scooped, flattened and baked! I served mine with drizzles of my caramel sauce and melted chocolate. Mainly for the photographs but I will confess it was a delicious bonus!
Other Low Carb Cookies to Bake
Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup erythritol brown preferable
- 2 cups pecans ground
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips sugar free
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans chopped
- 1 medium egg optional
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Cream the butter and erythritol together until smooth.
- Add the ground pecan, almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- If the mixture is too dry, add the egg. If the cookie mixture is soft enough, you can omit the egg.
- Stir in the toasted pecans and chocolate chips.
- Scoop a large walnut shape of the cookie mixture and shape into a ball.
- Place on a parchment lined baking tray and gently press down to flatten the ball into a cookie shape.
- Repeat for all the mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before handling.