This stuffed chicken recipe is baked with zucchini, sweet peppers and feta for a colourful and healthy chicken dish. It is a simple recipe to make and does not take long to prepare either.
A baked chicken breast recipe that is made for one as this is all I made for the Chief Taster that day for lunch. The filling is almost as big as the breast itself and was more than enough for him. I did serve it with a salad to up his vegetable intake that day. If there is more than one chicken eater at your dinner table, then you will need to adjust the recipe accordingly.
I use a skinless chicken breast with no bone for this stuffed chicken recipe as that is what the Chief Taster prefers. Serving him a piece of chicken with skin and bone would get the same look on his face as when I tell him that I am baking with flaxseed. There is the additional bonus that I don’t have to play around much with the meat too. So, it’s a win-win in our household. Or would be better if he came over to the vegetarian side.
I’ve listed the pepper as all ready grilled and skin removed for ease of use. You can always cheat (sharp intake of breath as I hide my jar of grilled peppers to the back of the cupboard) or grill pepper slices until the skin goes black. Allow to cool, peel the skin off and chop. The smell of the grilled peppers is delicious though! So you miss out on that if you purchase them pre-grilled. Then again, they often come in a lovely shaped jar that can be painted and reused as a jar. Oh, the domestic decisions one must make!
I kept the seasoning simple but you could add fresh basil or dried oregano to this. Perhaps some thyme too. They would go well with the flavour combination of the Feta, zucchini and grilled pepper. Very Mediterranean in flavour.
Feta stuffed chicken is a great way to stuff a chicken breast since Feta a cheese that holds its shape and is not going to spill out of the chicken breast like hot lava all over the baking tin. Add some colourful vegetables and you have an easy chicken dish too! As you can see from the pictures, I rammed the stuffing in until the chicken breast was fit to burst. No spillage in the baking tin either!
Chicken Breast Stuffed with Feta & Vegetables
- 1 Chicken breast
- 1/2 Zucchini chopped
- 1 Red pepper Grilled & skin removed, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F degrees
- Heat the butter in a saucepan or frying pan and gently cook the zucchini until soft and golden.
- Place into a bowl, add the chopped pepper, feta and seasoning.
- Make a slice in the side of the chicken breast so you are making a large pocket.
- Spoon the mixture into the pocket and pack well.
- Spoon any of the butter from the frying pan over the chicken breast.
- Place the chicken on a parchment paper lined baking tray and bake for 35-40 minutes until tender and the juices when prodded run clear.