A paleo, gluten free and low carb flatbread made with broccoli and coconut flour. Bright, colourful and delicious.
A bread from broccoli? Madness you cry! After a day playing around with cauliflower, I looked at a large bunch of broccoli I had in the fridge and thought to myself “Dare I?”. I did and I loved the result. It’s something you could have fun playing around with by adding other flavourings and perhaps some cheese too. I baked it in a square cake tin and the result was a soft yet firm flat bread. You could make a decent sandwich out of this or even toast it. I had some with salsa, the Chief Taster had an open sandwich with his half. Freak the children out! Give them a green sandwich! Hee hee…Oooh, something healthy and green for St Patrick’s’ Day perhaps?
I put basil in it to give it a bit of flavour but this is optional. If you don’t have coconut flour, I think almond flour or even ground flax seeds would still work. Move over cauliflower rice, you have a new contender from broccoli!
UPDATE: – I’ve now baked this with ground flaxseed in place of the psyllium powder and it works out great!
- 1 large head of Broccoli, trimmed into florets (should make about 4 cups of riced broccoli)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (can be optional)
- 2 tblspn coconut flour
- 1 tblspn psyllium husk powder (OR 2 tblspn ground flaxseed)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tspn baking powder
- 1/2 tspn salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/375F degrees.
- Place the broccoli and basil into a food processor and blitz until "rice like".
- Add the remaining ingredients and blitz until combined well.
- Line a tin with grease proof paper and pour the mixture into the tin, smoothing evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes until firm and golden at the edges.
- Eat and enjoy!
- (With Psyllium powder) Nutrition: Per square serving: 125 Calories; 4g Fat; 8g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 8g Net Carb
- (With ground Flaxseed) Nutrition: Per square serving: 117 Calories; 5g Fat; 7g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carb