Low carb tarts are filled with smooth mascarpone and topped with a blueberry sauce to make a creamy yet light low carb and gluten free dessert. A tart that is creamy but still light and refreshing.
The sweet delicate pastry with the mascarpone cream filling makes a delicious summer treat. The touch of lemon in the mascarpone gives it a slight tart flavour and stops it being too sweet. The blueberry topping is the perfect addition for the creamy tart.
The beauty of these blueberry mascarpone tarts is that they are simple to make but look elegant. They could happily match a store-bought dessert yet are a healthier option. I find that this is a great dessert for dinner parties and holidays. The bulk of mine were taste tested at my art class, so they can be enjoyed at any event! You could use other berries for the topping for a berry keto dessert.
The low carb pastry is a delicate melt in your mouth treat made with almond flour. The addition of an egg makes this a rich dessert pastry, perfect for a light creamy filling. I’ve used this pastry in other desserts and it has not yet disappointed me.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB TARTS
What you need:
- Mini tart cases, preferable 4 inch ones. I used silicone mini tart cases but you could use tin ones with a removable bottom.
- Almond flour, butter, egg, vanilla extract and ground low-carb sweetener. I used erythritol and ground it with my coffee bean grinder.
- Mascarpone cheese, whipping cream, low carb sweetener and lemon juice. I use erythritol for the sweetener.
- Blueberries for the topping. I used blueberries but other berries would be just as delicious.
HOW TO MAKE LOW CARB PASTRY
The almond flour pastry is made in a food processor as I find it combines well. You could mix the ingredients in a bowl but you need to blend them very thoroughly as you are looking for a rich, slightly stick pastry.
The pastry is pressed into the tart cases rather than rolled. Many low carb pastry doughs are too sticky or delicate to roll out. When you press the pastry into tin, try to get an even as possible coverage.
OTHER TOPPINGS TO USE FOR THE MASCARPONE TARTS
- A trio of berries
- Lemon rind curls
OTHER LOW CARB TARTS TO BAKE
Blueberry Mascarpone Tarts
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup erythritol ground
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup cream, heavy
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup erythritol ground
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon erythritol
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
MAKE THE TART CASES
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F degrees
- Place the pastry ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a smooth dough is form.
- Remove the dough and pull into 8 even pieces.
- Place a piece of the dough in a mini tart tin and gently press it evenly around the edges and bottom. I use silicone but greased metal ones with a removal bottom are fine.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and firm.
- Set aside to cool.
MAKE THE FILLING
- In a bowl, whisk the mascarpone until smooth.
- Add the cream and continue to whisk.
- Add the lemon juice, vanilla extract and ground erythritol and whisk.
- Spoon into the tart cases and spread evenly.
- Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve with the blueberry sauce over the top or with any other topping of your choosing.
MAKE THE BLUEBERRY SAUCE
- Place the blueberries in a saucepan with the water and erythritol.
- Bring to the boil and gently stir so that the blueberries are softened.
- Add the xanthan gum and stir until thickened.
- Set aside to cool until ready for use
Tart with sauce: 380 calories, 8g protein, 37g fat, 8.4g total carbs, 3.1g fibre, 5.3g net carbs The net carbs will be the total carb count minus the fibre count. Carb count excludes sugar alcohols. Any nutritional analysis on the website is based on an estimate, calculated by http://nutritiondata.self.com from the individual ingredients in each recipe. Variations may occur for various reasons, including product availability and food preparation. We make no representation or warranty of the accuracy of this information.