Ginger nut crusted tarts topped with strawberry and blueberries make a bright and tasty treat in these keto berry tarts.
I found this recipe on Epicurious and changed it by replacing the wheat flour (bah, nasty stuff) with coconut flour for binding. I think you might be able to make this raw and not bake the crusts, but let them form in the fridge for a few hours. However, baking them results in a delicious tart. I love using nuts in replace of a pastry case and I think it gives the tart more taste and texture too.
You could use a muffin tray to make the keto berry tarts, but I preferred to use a cupcake tray, as it makes neater tarts. I used strawberry and blueberries but other fruits would be just as delicious. Spiced plums perhaps? I like the nut combination of walnuts and almond but pecans would be suitable too. Add with a dollop of cream and you have a tasty treat!
Strawberry and Blueberry Nut Tartets
- Grease a mini muffin tray with a bit of the coconut oil.
- Place the nuts in a food processor and blitz until ground.
- Add the erthyritol, ginger, salt and coconut oil.
- Process then add the coconut flour 1 tablespoon at a time until the mixture becomes like a dough.
- Take a large tablespoon of the dough and press down into the cupcake tray, adding more mixture if required, to form the tart shells.
- Chill in the fridge for 1 hour (or longer if you want to keep this recipe raw).
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F degrees.
- Bake the tarts for 8-10 minutes and let cool in the tin for 15 minutes to keep their shape.
- Put the strawberries and blueberries in a bowl and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Fill the tart shells with the fruit.
- Eat and enjoy!